Windows Phone Dev Center - Government Account RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create a Windows Phone Dev Center Account for a government agency?  I manage a group of software developers within a local county agency, and one of my developers has created a public safety mobile web app (HTML5) that we would like to port to the Windows Phone Dev Center in order to make it more widely available to the public (for free, of course).  However, after reviewing the account registration process, it appears that the process for creating new accounts is only designed for individuals or companies.  Has any other government agency ever submitted an in-house developed mobile app to the Windows Phone Dev Center (not produced by a 3rd party)?
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:00 PM

Answers

• Hello Rhepox,

Yes, you can create a Windows Phone developer account for a government agency.

Most likely choosing a company would be the best way to go since it adds some additional verification safeguards during the account setup. The government agency would need to be able to pass the Symantec validation process before it would become active. Part of this validation process involves Symantec verifying the organization via public records and supporting documentation may need to be provided by you. If you are unsure if your agency can pass this validation process, the individual account does not have this requirement and should be suitable for your needs.

Regardless of the type of account you choose I would strongly recommend that you setup an internal email alias at the agency that is not specific to a single person and use that email address to create the account, that way if the role changes, the email address can be moved to the person who takes over responsibility for the developer account. The email address you use to create the developer account is permanently tied to the account and cannot be changed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

-Eric

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Rhepox,

Yes, you can create a Windows Phone developer account for a government agency.

Most likely choosing a company would be the best way to go since it adds some additional verification safeguards during the account setup. The government agency would need to be able to pass the Symantec validation process before it would become active. Part of this validation process involves Symantec verifying the organization via public records and supporting documentation may need to be provided by you. If you are unsure if your agency can pass this validation process, the individual account does not have this requirement and should be suitable for your needs.

Regardless of the type of account you choose I would strongly recommend that you setup an internal email alias at the agency that is not specific to a single person and use that email address to create the account, that way if the role changes, the email address can be moved to the person who takes over responsibility for the developer account. The email address you use to create the developer account is permanently tied to the account and cannot be changed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

-Eric

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for the reply!  That is very helpful.  I was leaning toward doing that already, but it is nice to have the confirmation that this is the correct approach.  I've already set up the email alias.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Doug

Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:51 PM