none
IIS Multiple NIC RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get an opinion on the following:

I have two dell 2900 servers with 2 quad core procs and 16gb of ram, behind a baracuda load balancer on a private network that runs our custom build .net application.  After a month or so of running that, we noticed we were not really utilizing the cpu, memory and nic.  What we did was configure the other nic to connect to the private network and setup another site with it's own application pool and worker process.  This allowed us to not move where session was being stored.  Basically we have two nics connected to the private network behind the load balancer and configured to each serve up the application.  The load balancer thinks there is another server.  The other server is currently only configured with one nic.  We have not seen any issues with this and the application functions just fine.  A network contractor that does work for us said that this is not a good idea, basically had not reason to back it up, but said I should just configure two ip addresses on the one nic and not use the other one. 

Does anyone see any problems in utilizing both nics?

Thanks for the feedback
    Paul
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:00 PM

All replies

• If the servers load is not a problem through one nic why did you add another nic?  I don't see a problem with adding a second nic...you added another pipe (and address) to the server.  Where you had a pipe (nic 1) that was not being used fully...you now have two pipes that will be used even less.  I agree, you could have simply added another address to the existing nic since traffic to that nic was not enough to cause problems.
    Andrew Siemer www.andrewsiemer.com blog.andrewsiemer.com www.socialnetworkingin.net
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:18 AM