Visual Studio reporting errors (Value cannot be null) since last set of Xamarin updates applied RRS feed

• Question

• User89714 posted

Since applying the latest Xamarin updates, Visual Studio is reporting the following error:

ERROR: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project

Unfortunately, with so much software auto-updating these days I cannot be 100% certain that it was the Xamarin update that caused it, but it coincided chronologically. Has anybody else seen this error, or have any clue as to what might be causing it / how to resolve it?

Many thanks,

John H.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 10:06 AM

Answers

• User44756 posted

@JohnHardman - You right, my mistake. Just wanted to say thanks, now everything works. (The other problem was my mistake, I didn't configure the Android project correctly)

Your workaround works for now, Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:47 PM

All replies

• User89714 posted

I am wondering if this could be an issue in the Xamarin Project Template(s) ?

Sunday, May 3, 2015 11:09 AM
  • User109325 posted

I have the same problem and the same error and i can say the problem issue after the latest Xamarin updates 1.4.2.6359.

I can't build a release version of Android, just a debug version.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 12:53 PM
  • User89714 posted

@FrdricBILLAt - Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm sorry you have the problem too, but I'm also glad it's not just me.

I'll put a support request in, rather than just hoping somebody from Xamarin spots it in the forum.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:06 PM
  • User55527 posted

Same issue since i have updated an existing Xamarin.Forms project!

Monday, May 4, 2015 9:39 AM
  • User125284 posted

Same here!

Monday, May 4, 2015 12:29 PM
  • User125265 posted

Does anybody already solved this issue? I started validating Xamarin today and can't use the Visual Studio integration...

Monday, May 4, 2015 2:38 PM
  • User89714 posted

@LutzMller.1708 - I have emailed a support query, but haven't heard anything back yet.

BTW - this one doesn't stop you using Visual Studio - the error list shows these errors, but if you look in the Output window, you can see that your build still works. I have reported other issues that are more of a problem when it comes to making progress :-(

Monday, May 4, 2015 4:15 PM
  • User101228 posted

I am also getting this issue and it seems to have also blown out all our nuget references. nothing builds and i am stuck.

Monday, May 4, 2015 7:12 PM
  • User89714 posted

@LukeWatson - interesting about the NuGet references. I hadn't made the link, but I have just spent 2 days going through all of mine one-by-one to get things to a useable state again, so it could be related.

Monday, May 4, 2015 7:22 PM
  • User101228 posted

@JohnHardman - im downloading the previous release of Xamain to see if that fixes it. not going to hold my breath

Monday, May 4, 2015 7:29 PM
  • User101228 posted

Rolling back fixed the
    ERROR: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project error, but my nuget is still messed up. i guess ill be removing and readding them... i tried update-package -reinstall

no help

Monday, May 4, 2015 7:45 PM
  • User114071 posted

+1 for ERROR: Value cannot be null.

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:39 PM
  • User55527 posted

I was able to fix the error by a merge commit. The other computer had not installed the latest Xamarin version...

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:27 AM
  • User124484 posted

Stuck :(

ERROR: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project

Anyone heard anything from Xamarin support?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:10 AM
  • User89714 posted

@Marian.Gieseler - did your merge get you to a point where you are using the latest update successfully, or roll you back to the old version? If you are using the latest update, did you identify what file change it was that results in this error from Visual Studio, and does your iOS project execute successfully?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:20 AM
  • User44756 posted

same "Error: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project" here. Someone from Xamarin , please advice. I'm stuck here and can't compile

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:31 AM
  • User89714 posted

@GadiPaz @HenningMortensen @MarianGieseler @ab.9453 @LukeWatson @LutzMiller.1708 @LucaMarchetti.4193 @FrdricBILLAt

There's a workaround for this described at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29220

(although that then pops up a different message when starting Visual Studio on my machine).

The release notes for the update that caused me so much trouble can be found at: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/37276/stable-release-xamarin-studio-5-9-0-new-features-and-bug-fixes/p1

Those notes list some known issues, although not everything I have encountered as far as I can see.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:40 AM
  • User44756 posted

Thanks for the workaround @JohnHardman. It solved the "Error: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project" issue, But I still experiencing a weird problem, seems like the Android project is not loading as expected. I'm using a Shared Project and on the upper left side there's a dropdown for selecting the current working project, I see there the iOS & Tests project but don't see the Android project. That's why I can't compile, I'm using some compiler directives (like ANDROID) in the Shared Project so I can't compile the Android Project anymore.

I'm using VS2013 update 4

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:20 PM
  • User89714 posted

@GadiPaz - I'd recommend starting a new thread for the other issue that you are seeing, or raise it on the thread for the release notes if you think it is related to the update.

Regards,

John H.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:26 PM
  • User44756 posted

@JohnHardman - You right, my mistake. Just wanted to say thanks, now everything works. (The other problem was my mistake, I didn't configure the Android project correctly)

Your workaround works for now, Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:47 PM
  • User101228 posted

@JohnHardman thanks for the link, but i do not have a reference to test cloud in my project. is it a setting i can disable somewhere?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:34 PM
  • User89714 posted

@LukeWatson - I blindly followed the workaround instructions (copied below from https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29680 ) as follows. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't investigate the detail before doing so. If these instructions don't work for you, I'd suggest adding notes to that bug, and also to the thread for the release notes. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

for VS 2013:

1. Delete the following two files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.445.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.pkgdef C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.445.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.dll

2. Run the following command in a cmd.exe command prompt (remove the > greater-than symbol from the beginning of the line):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup /nosetupvstemplates

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:56 PM
  • User101228 posted

@JohnHardman That got rid of that error, thank you. i think my other error is something to do with mono messing up my environment. ill keep looking elsewhere

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:26 PM
  • User89714 posted

All - be aware - I had a notification pop up this morning saying that there was a new Xamarin.iOS version available (it would have been 3.11.446.0) on the stable channel. Installed it, and now I have the "Value cannot be null. Paramater name: project" back again.

(shaking head in despair, thinking the iOS team should be talking to the TestCloud team...)

To resolve this for VS 2013, I did:

1.Delete the following two files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.pkgdef C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.dll

2.Run the following command in a cmd.exe command prompt (remove the > greater-than symbol from the beginning of the line):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup /nosetupvstemplates

Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:35 AM
  • User16168 posted

JohnHardman's solution worked here, exact same "Value cannot be null. Paramater name: project" error. Trashing the TestCloud stuff and resetting VS resolved it.

Come on Xamarin team, let's not blow up entire environments with an update!

Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:06 PM
  • User75198 posted

@JohnHardman Your workaround fixed this issue for me as well. Thanks!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 4:43 AM
  • User69335 posted

Did all of @JohnHardman advice and it helped. Thanks But! now other errors :-1: and visual studio gets busy, and my app gets stuck

I don't think it's our job to do QA for Xamarin

Rolled back to my previous version. everything is working.

@Xamarin guys, in "stable" channel please put stable release...

Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:29 AM
  • User89714 posted

@hagailuger.6820

In other threads, people have said that the latest Alpha release resolves the Visual Studio hangs. Given how bad even a Stable release can be, I'm not planning on using Alpha any time soon, but people do say it solves the hangs if you want to give it a try...

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:08 AM
  • User69335 posted

@JohnHardman , thanks for the offer but if that's how the "Stable" looks like, I don't want to think how the Alpha looks...

Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:31 AM
  • User23807 posted

In that case Alpha and Beta look a lot better. Give it a try, really!

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:46 PM
  • User65389 posted

@JohnHardman, @GadiPaz, @FrdricBILLAt, @MarianGieseler, @LucaMarchetti.4193, @LutzMller.1708, @ab.9453, @LukeWatson, @JerodVenema, @RADev, @hagailuger1, @MartinRothschink and all other readers of this thread:

I have tested the newest pre-alpha version of the VS-X-integration-SW and posted my findings here: forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41844/my-findings-after-test-if-the-newest-xamarin-vs-integration-software?new=1

I think, this should be interesting for you anyway...

I don't had (and have) the problem described in the thread here (but also have skipped some versions).
    If someone can give me a clear advise how to provocate it, I could try out for you, If I can provocate it with the newest version :sunglasses:

Cheers...

Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:21 PM
  • User129149 posted

To resolve this for VS 2013, I did:

1.Delete the following two files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.pkgdef C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.dll

2.Run the following command in a cmd.exe command prompt (remove the > greater-than symbol from the beginning of the line):

but a popup message comes "the operation could not be completed access is denied"

what should i do?

Monday, May 25, 2015 10:35 AM
  • User89714 posted

@SyedMuhammadAhmad - make sure you have not got Visual Studio running, and make sure that you run the command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator. It's probably the latter, as Program Files has more protection these days than it used to.

Monday, May 25, 2015 11:47 AM
  • User129149 posted

@ohnHardman thanks it solved

Monday, May 25, 2015 1:09 PM
  • User64487 posted

thanks @JohnHardman , worked perfectly.

Xamarin really needs to get it together.

Sunday, May 31, 2015 8:01 PM
  • User40046 posted

Thanks for posting this guys. This issue has been driving me crazy for over month!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:55 PM
  • User140627 posted

Xamarin had been installed automatically by installing VS2015 RC. Uninstalled Xamarin entirely from Programs and Features and also followed the steps above (delete from Extensions folder).

I never wanted Xamarin. Make the VS-integrated toolset fully licensed for free (maybe follow Unreal Engine licensing model?) and maybe I'll give a rat's behind about Xamarin, but in the mean time I don't have a couple thousands of dollars to throw around.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:42 AM
  • User69649 posted

I was getting "object reference not set to instance of an object" on a build or even when I performed a clean in VS 2013 but completely after a success of either. )It first surfaced after Xamarin studio did a forced upgrade of the target android framework) It persisted through reboots, reload of projects, removal of preference files etc. I swapped from VS to Xamarin Studio and still got the same issue and then came across this thread. I followed the instructions from Syed and John Hardman, ensuring I ran the command as administrator with VS closed and all worked perfectly.

Why Test cloud dll should cause this is beyond me, but very thankful for your solutions.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:16 PM
  • User100017 posted

Hi This error occurs because Xamarin did not recognize the SDK,NDK or JDK Go to Tool>Option>Xamarin>AndroidSetting

Thursday, December 24, 2015 7:27 PM
  • User51509 posted

Me Install today Send ME Error : Value cannot be null . Parameter name:path1 VS 2015 And VS 2013 sdk install ( android studio ) JDK 8 NDK 10

Saturday, January 9, 2016 8:24 AM
  • User199108 posted

I get this error in Xamarin 4.0.1.96 with Visual Studio Community 2015 :-( have tried to delete

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\4.0.1.96\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.pkgdef

And

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\4.0.1.96\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.dll

• running the

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup /nosetupvstemplates

in a cmd.exe window as Administrator

No luck, it still dosn't work :-( what to do???

Monday, March 7, 2016 9:37 AM
  • User177383 posted

Hi, although this thread is from last year, i encounter the same problem now with the latest Visual Studio/Xamarin installation. Manipulating the manifest of the Android part in a xamarin.forms portable project results in the same "value cannot be null"-error as reported above. I also tried the workaround as proposed here for VS 2013 by deleting the testcloud-thing but that did not help. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:28 AM
  • User31966 posted

I have the same issue. I have downloaded VS 2015 Enterprise and done a fresh install on a new VM and i get the same error. Its stopping me creating a new portable project. If i click OK to the error it creates the IOS and Windows projects but not the Android project. Its there a fix or a workaround?

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:20 AM
  • User31966 posted

I have found an answer to the error. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36371588/cannot-create-android-project-in-a-xamarin-forms-portable-solution

"Check Xamarin knows the correct Android SDK path. Navigate in Visual Studio to Tools > Options > Xamarin > Android Settings."

After a bit of digging i found my sdk location was C:\Users*username*\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk

Once i added this setting the project created correctly.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 9:02 AM
  • User74249 posted

Im getting the "Value cannot be null.\r\nParameter name: input" error message now too. But its only for my UWP app. My Android app loads fine. My certificate expired today, so I generated a new one. Ever since then, I get this error message. I can deploy the app fine, but its bombs when I try to run it. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 3:41 PM
  • User283453 posted

Got the same prob here. But closing and reopening the solution solves the prob... But each time I got a successfull build and debug, if I want to run a debug again, I need to close AGAIN the solution ...

Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:50 PM