Error message when connecting to a SQL Express 2005 DB RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi folks


    I have been tryng to establish a new data source for a windows form 'Clients'.


    So, after starting the 'Data Source Configuration Wizard', and successfully connecting to the DB (test connection returned OK) I saved the connection string.


    I then clicked on Next and the wizard successfully retrieved the DB objects.  I expanded the Tables node and selected the Clients table. 


    I then clicked on the Finish button and after a few seconds, an error message came up as follows:


    An error occurred while creating the new data source:

    Could not get type information for 'Clients.ClientsDataSet'


    The connection string that was generated earlier is as follows:


    Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\DeckAndLaundry.mdf";Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True


    I have done a few searches, but have been unable to find a clue.


    Here's hoping somebody can help me.


    Kind regards



    Friday, August 24, 2007 11:06 AM

All replies

  • Hi


    I have a windows form app (form1) and a SQL Server 2005 Express DB.  I am using Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition.  Note that I also have installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2003.


    I created the DB within the Visual Basic Express IDE.  At this stage, there is only one table (Client) which has two fields to keep it simple:


    ClientID                 int                     PK     identity = true

    ClientName           varchar(50)


    When I ran the Datasource configuration wizard and selected the Client table I eventually received the error message:


    "Could not get type information for 'Clients.ClientsDataset'"


    In the Solution explorer the dataset is listed (clientsDataset.xsd) and double clicking successfully opens it and it displays the Client Datatable with the two fields listed.


    The connection string is as follows:


    Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\DeckAndLaundry.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True


    It would appear as though other people have had the same problem, but I haven't been able to see where the problem has been solved.


    If anybody could help, I would muchly appreciate it.


    Kind regards



    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Hi Ross,


    According to your description, the connection is ok as you can preview the data.


    Please check if there are certain reserved words took as field names in the "DeckAndLaundry.mdf" database.


    Check the following thread for several suggestions.

    Could not get type information for <appname>.dataset


    I hope that can help you.


    Best regards,


    Monday, September 3, 2007 5:43 AM
  • Merged the two threads which have the same topic, so all information about this problem will be in the same location.
    Monday, September 3, 2007 5:45 AM
  • Hi Martin


    Thanks for that.


    At the moment, I just have one table as follows (two fields):


    Name = Clients


    ClientID           int    PK        IsIdentity = True     Seed = 1     Increment = 1

    ClientName     varchar(100)   Nullable = False


    Hope this helps


    Kind regards




    Monday, September 3, 2007 8:38 PM
  • I would also check item #2 in the following link:



    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 12:57 PM
  • Hi Ross,


    I created the database DeckAndLaundry.mdf and the table Clients as below, but it worked fine in my VB 2005 Express, I didn't reproduce that error.

    Name = Clients

    ClientID           int    PK        IsIdentity = True     Seed = 1     Increment = 1

    ClientName     varchar(100)   Nullable = False



    Does this error occur when you use other database in the same project?

    Does this error occur when you use the same database in other project?


    Please re-create a database with only that Clients table and re-create a winform project to take a try.


    If that's not helpful, suggest reinstalling VB Express and VB Express SP1 from the following official website.


    Visual Studio® 2005 Express Editions


    Visual Studio® 2005 Express Editions Service Pack 1





    Thursday, September 6, 2007 2:02 PM
  • Hi Fellas


    Well, I have tried all the suggestions to no avail, so I will take up the suggestion about reinstalling the original software & SP1.


    Many thanks for your help.


    It will take a little while, as I am quite busy at the moment with various things.


    Kind regards



    Thursday, September 6, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Hi there,


    Check out my workaround on the matter at:



    Or by searching feedback "Could not get type information" on the site if the link above doesn't work (just make sure the FeedbackID matches).



    Monday, October 15, 2007 11:49 AM
  • I am not sure whether can I solve your problem or not, but I am having the similar problem and it gave the error "an error occured while creating the new data source..."
    So I went to My Project properties > References > deleted the System.Data.SqlServerCe and added (Add Reference) it back as I found it was pointing to an invalid path previously.
    Everything went fine after that.
    Good luck
    Friday, October 3, 2008 1:22 PM


    I just resolved this particular problem by going to the project properties and changing the Target Framework from .Net 2.0 to .Net 3.5.  The filed is under the Application section of the project properties. Once I made the change, I was able to add new data sources without any error messages.

    In short, the original application was created in .Net 2.0  which does not support some of the dbase automation that later versions of .Net.
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 5:37 PM