Office 2013, Ms VS 2015 "the project cannot be created" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, collegues

I have faced with the following problem: when I'm trying to create Excel 2013 VSTO workbook in MS Visual Studio 2015 Community, it returns error "the project cannot be created" without any specification.

I have found on the web workaround on this problem - to install Office 2016 and replace VBE7.dll file in my Office 2013. But I can't follow this advise, because I am working on the corporate laptop and can't just install programs except for approved by our IT services (Office 2016 is not approved).

So, is there any another way to fix this bug? I need this fix urgently, because I have to deliver customized workbook at the end of this week...

Many thanks in advance.

Looking forward for reply,

PG_develop

Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi PG_Develop,

This issue can be occurred due to Office updates.

if you are using Office 365 then you just need to install the latest available updates.

it will correct the issue and you will be able to create VSTO Workbook project.

if you are using Office 2013/ 2016 then you can try to install VBE7Dll to solve the issue.

but I had seen in some cases that it also not able to solve the issue.

so if installing the VBE7.DLL not solve your issue then the only way to solve this issue is to downgrade your Office version to last working version.

I will try to find the last working version for Excel 2013 and let you inform about that.

Reference:

1. VS2015 "The project cannot be created" error.
    2. "Project cannot be created" or “Excel Designer cannot be activated” error when you use VSTO Document-level projects in Visual Studio

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PG_Develop Monday, May 22, 2017 1:10 PM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi PG_Develop,

This issue can be occurred due to Office updates.

if you are using Office 365 then you just need to install the latest available updates.

it will correct the issue and you will be able to create VSTO Workbook project.

if you are using Office 2013/ 2016 then you can try to install VBE7Dll to solve the issue.

but I had seen in some cases that it also not able to solve the issue.

so if installing the VBE7.DLL not solve your issue then the only way to solve this issue is to downgrade your Office version to last working version.

I will try to find the last working version for Excel 2013 and let you inform about that.

Reference:

1. VS2015 "The project cannot be created" error.
    2. "Project cannot be created" or “Excel Designer cannot be activated” error when you use VSTO Document-level projects in Visual Studio

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PG_Develop Monday, May 22, 2017 1:10 PM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Thank you for reply, Deepark

I have installed VBE7.dll and it started to work

Thanks again,

PG_Develop

Monday, May 22, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Hi PG_Develop,

from your last post, I can see that your issue is solved now.

but you did not mark the answer.

I suggest you to mark the answer, so that we can close this thread.

if you do not mark the answer then we are not able to close it and it will remain open.

so help us to close the thread.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Monday, May 22, 2017 8:26 AM