Track user's Internet activity in Windows Server 2008 environment RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best method to track internet usage of users from a Windows Server 2008 environment?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:42 PM

Answers

• I can't say what the best way is because I don't know for sure.  I believe there are products which do this and certainly are more targeted for collecting internet usage than Network Monitor is.  Also if you have ISA as your firewall, there are problably tools there that let you do some tracking as well.

From a Network Monitor perspective, you could capture all the traffic.  Youl could also just filter out HTTP request to see what sites people are hitting.  Or you could meausre the ammount of traffic that is HTTP using the Top Protocol expert on http://www.CodePlex.com/NMExperts.  But we don't have functionallity built it for logging internet usage in general terms.

Paul
    • Marked as answer by Paul E Long Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:25 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:56 PM

All replies

• I can't say what the best way is because I don't know for sure.  I believe there are products which do this and certainly are more targeted for collecting internet usage than Network Monitor is.  Also if you have ISA as your firewall, there are problably tools there that let you do some tracking as well.

From a Network Monitor perspective, you could capture all the traffic.  Youl could also just filter out HTTP request to see what sites people are hitting.  Or you could meausre the ammount of traffic that is HTTP using the Top Protocol expert on http://www.CodePlex.com/NMExperts.  But we don't have functionallity built it for logging internet usage in general terms.

Paul
    • Marked as answer by Paul E Long Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:25 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:56 PM
  • I mentioned Top Protocols expert below, but now I realize we have not released it yet.  Sorry about that, but we do plan to release that expert soon.

Paul

Monday, September 14, 2009 3:17 PM