Visual Studio adds a ProjectSection(WebsiteProperties) for all projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I try to add a new project to our existing Visual Studio solution, it now adds a ProjectSection(WebsiteProperties) for ALL projects in the solution, although only three of 24 projects are web sites.

Only an Undo Checkout can undo this.

What is causing this new behavior (Visual Studio 2005 SP1 v8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727.7600)) ?

How can I disable it?

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:56 AM

Answers

• Link8312,

Thanks for your question.

1. The problem "Adds projectSection for all projects" should be fixed in Visual Studio 2008.

2. In Visual Studio 2005, I would like to suggest that you probably need to modify the .SLN file manually (or with some build actions) to remove these extra lines.

3. Is there any specific concern with the extra lines?

If that is not the case, please feel free to reply and I am waiting for your feedback.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:28 AM

All replies

• Source control is not causing this behavior.

The new solution section is probably added by the web projects package (probably in SP1 builds the web projects need to persist more properties)

I'll move the thread to VB forums (which also handle web projects)

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Link8312,

Thanks for your question.

1. The problem "Adds projectSection for all projects" should be fixed in Visual Studio 2008.

2. In Visual Studio 2005, I would like to suggest that you probably need to modify the .SLN file manually (or with some build actions) to remove these extra lines.

3. Is there any specific concern with the extra lines?

If that is not the case, please feel free to reply and I am waiting for your feedback.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:28 AM
  •  

Bruno Yu,

Thanks for your answer.

I have no specific concern about these lines, I was just startled to see them appear in the VSS diff immediately after adding the project (I always to a diff after messing with the solution file, since it seems that it can be completely changed at times with the source control).

Seeing massive modifications in the solution file is a bit frightening, when you do an operation that seems "minor", like adding a project.

Link8312.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Hi.

We have just hit a problem with this exact situation.  We have a pretty large solution (it contains around 100 projects and since SP1 the "ProjectSection(WebsiteProperties)" entry has crept into every single one (we have NO web projects at all in the solution).  This went unnoticed until recently, when one of our devs was investigating why our solution seemed to be taking longer and longer to load.  The culrpit was found to be a massive number of (empty) folders created in %USERPROFILES%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WebsiteCache (we're all on Windows XP, btw).  Most of our team found we have several thousand folders in this directory - some as many as 100,000!  Deleting the latter using "rmdir /s /q" takes around two hours. 

So, yes, I do have concern with the extra lines!  Are there any ways to fix this?  Removing the lines from the solution file doesn't seem to help as VS keeps adding them back in.

Ben

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:47 PM
  • I have a C: and a D: drive.  My C: drive is almost full and I'd like to move the websitecache to d:.  What can I do to make this happen?
    Thanks
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Something else about websitecache - every time I refactor it has to hunt through all of this compiled code to refactor it.  Is there anyway to make the refactor just focus on uncompiled code and then build when that's done?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:16 PM