none
Auto-starting Alerts using PLA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

All my servers with Windows Server 2008R2/Windows Server 2012 use the Performance Monitor's alerts that must be auto-started on server restarts. This can be easily achieved by configuring the corresponding scheduled tasks in the PLA section:

With this configuration I can

1) right-click the alert in the PLA and click Run - this leads to starting the corresponding alert in the Performance Monitor. The state of the scheduled task in PLA changes to Running (it must be in the Running state ~indefinitely!).

2) restart the server and the alert will start automatically

Consider the same configuration on Windows Server 2019:

In Windows Server 2019 if I right-click the PLM scheduled task (with the same name as an alert in the Performance Monitor) and click Run it just quickly changes to Running and then reverts to Ready - this procedure does NOT start the corresponding alert and after restarting a server no alerts get started by the corresponding PLA scheduled tasks.

Is it a bug or is it by design in 2019?

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:35 AM

All replies

• Since there were no suggestions on the matter I decided to ask MS support but was supprised greatly not to find a Windows Server 2019 in the product list:

???

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:50 PM
  • Opened a case with MS.
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:05 AM
  • The answer: This is by design in Windows Server 2019.

Regards,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:38 PM
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:25 AM
  • P.S. Unfortunately I was unable to ask MS that question so maybe someone from MS could post the answer here:

Starting with Windows Server 2019 there'no way to start the data collector sets (Alerts) when a server starts so administrators are supposed to create scripts instead of their alerts and create the corresponding scheduled tasks to auto-start them on server reboots.

It's my understanding that each new OS version should be better and more "administrator-friendly" than previous ones and I'm trying hard to realize  the meaning of this new "improvement" but still no luck... Can anybody explain  me how can I benefit from creating some "server stuff" manually in 2019 instead of having it working out of box in all previous versions?

Regards,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:23 AM typo
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:46 PM
  • +1

Let's have an answer, Microsoft.  I just encountered this at my org and "it's by design" is pretty ridiculous.  I'd love to hear the reasoning behind removing this functionality.  I wasted several hours trying to figure out why none of my collector sets were starting on schedule.  

Nate

Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:13 PM
  • "I'd love to hear the reasoning behind removing this functionality." - sometimes I think MS wants system administrators to use more and more scripting instead of the previously working Windows features...

P.S. The most irritating thing here for me is that MS didn't even bother to tell us about this "improvement" - at least I failed to find any documentation (something like Windows Server 2019 depricated features) that would clearly state we can no longer use auto-starting data collector sets and use schedules.

• Edited by MF47 Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:44 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:37 PM