none
Auto-starting Alerts using PLA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

All my servers with Windows Server 2008R2/Windows Server 2012 use the Performance Monitor's alerts that must be auto-started on server restarts. This can be easily achieved by configuring the corresponding scheduled tasks in the PLA section:

With this configuration I can

1) right-click the alert in the PLA and click Run - this leads to starting the corresponding alert in the Performance Monitor. The state of the scheduled task in PLA changes to Running (it must be in the Running state ~indefinitely!).

2) restart the server and the alert will start automatically

Consider the same configuration on Windows Server 2019:

In Windows Server 2019 if I right-click the PLM scheduled task (with the same name as an alert in the Performance Monitor) and click Run it just quickly changes to Running and then reverts to Ready - this procedure does NOT start the corresponding alert and after restarting a server no alerts get started by the corresponding PLA scheduled tasks.

Is it a bug or is it by design in 2019?

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:35 AM

All replies

• Since there were no suggestions on the matter I decided to ask MS support but was supprised greatly not to find a Windows Server 2019 in the product list:

???

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:50 PM
  • Opened a case with MS.
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:05 AM
  • The answer: This is by design on Windows Server 2019.

Regards,
    Michael

Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:25 AM
  • P.S. Unfortunately I was unable to ask MS that question so maybe someone from MS could post the answer here:

Starting with Windows Server 2019 there'no way to start the data collector sets (Alerts) when a server starts so administrators are supposed to create scripts instead of their alerts and create the corresponding scheduled tasks to auto-start them on server reboots.

It's my understanding that each new OS version should be better and more "administrator-friendly" than previous ones and I'm trying hard to realize  the meaning of this new "improvement" but still no luck... Can anybody explain  me how can I benefit from creating some "server stuff" manually in 2019 instead of having it working out of box in all previous versions?

Regards,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:23 AM typo
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:46 PM