none
Connecting a VM hosted on Azure through mstsc command RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've created and uploaded a VM successfully on Azure. When I connect to this VM, a .rdp file gets downloaded.

However if I try to connect to the same VM (picking up the VM name from .rdp file) through mstsc command, I'm unable to connect.

So my question is do I need to do some extra setting in my VHD file? Or connecting through terminal services is not possible for VMs in azure?

Thanks

Ankit

Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You need to open the IP address range of the VM in the network firewall. You can get the IP Address from Management portal.

I hope it helps!! If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

Please check this link to see if helps:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mariok/archive/2011/08/09/command-line-access-to-azure-vms-ssh.aspx

Hope thie helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by Arwind - MSFT Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:33 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 4:02 AM
  • If I understand you correctly, you can connect to the VM from the rdp file ( downloaded from the management portal ), but if you just run mstsc , and put the dns yoursite.cloudapp.net, you can't connect.

I did exact same thing.   Here is what I found :

The rdp file has extral line:

LoadBalanceInfo:s:Cookie: mstshash=WebRole1#WebRole1_IN_0

This will tell Azure server side to forward the traffic to the correct role instance.

If you have a workrole and a webrole, you will see in their .rdp file, they have the same full address:yoursite.cloudapp.net, the loadbalanceinfo will tell Azure service which role instance the client want to access.

You can check this document:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/avkashchauhan/archive/2011/12/06/how-does-remote-desktop-works-in-windows-azure.aspx

Friday, May 25, 2012 7:20 PM