Failed on Start (Retrying) on Non-Custom Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I get this randomly (have not been able to determine a specific day/time this generally occurs on). The workflow was designed in SharePoint Designer 2007 using all of the standard actions and comparisons. A document is submitted to a document library, a field value is compared and an e-mail is generated based on the comparison. If I remove the comparison, the workflow will run, and any workflows currently running will continue to run without issue. Now to the interesting part, if I recycle the Application Pool for the web server, I am able to resubmit the forms and they run successfully. The network account that the application pool runs on matches the application pool set up in the security configuration in MOSS Central Administration. Any ideas as to if this should be considered an application pool problem or a SharePoint problem? Increased logging did not give any further clues, unless you have any recommendations on what to look into.

07/06/2011 10:40:21.85  w3wp.exe (0x0294)                        0x207C Windows SharePoint Services    Workflow Infrastructure        936l High     Engine RunWorkflow: System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Compiler.WorkflowValidationFailedException: The workflow failed validation.     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowDefinitionDispenser.ValidateDefinition(Activity root, Boolean isNewType, ITypeProvider typeProvider)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowDefinitionDispenser.LoadRootActivity(Type workflowType, Boolean createDefinition, Boolean initForRuntime)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowDefinitionDispenser.GetRootActivity(Type workflowType, Boolean createNew, Boolean initForRuntime)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.InitializeExecutor(Guid instanceId, CreationContext context, WorkflowExecutor executor, WorkflowInstance workflowInstance)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.Load(Guid key, CreationContext con... 
    07/06/2011 10:40:21.85* w3wp.exe (0x0294)                        0x207C Windows SharePoint Services    Workflow Infrastructure        936l High     ...text, WorkflowInstance workflowInstance)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.GetWorkflowExecutor(Guid instanceId, CreationContext context)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.InternalCreateWorkflow(CreationContext context, Guid instanceId)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.CreateWorkflow(Type workflowType, Dictionary`2 namedArgumentValues, Guid instanceId)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeHostServices.Send(SPWinOeWorkflow winoeworkflow, SPWorkflowEvent e)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeEngine.RunWorkflow(Guid trackingId, SPWorkflowHostService host, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, TimeSpan timeOut) 

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi VisualBacon,

Regarding this issue, many causes can lead to the error messages. So I can’t tell you the causes definitely.

Here are some feasible way you can try, for more information, please refer to:

http://alliknw.blogspot.com/2009/06/spd-workflow-failed-on-start-retrying.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/daveateek/archive/2008/01/11/sharepoint-designer-workflows-fail-to-start-failed-on-start-retrying.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wael/archive/2008/01/11/workflow-failed-on-start-retrying.aspx

If it persists, would you please provide your workflow conditions and actions in more detail? What do you mean by “recycle the Application Pool for the web server”?

Best Regards,

Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Thank you for the recommendations, unfortunately the issue is still occurring.

"If it persists, would you please provide your workflow conditions and actions in more detail?"

All of the workflows across the entire SharePoint server will check a condition when launched, specifically the value of a field when an InfoPath form is submitted. Based on this form value (passed to a Document Library that houses the form), the workflow will respond accordingly. Once the issue occurs, ALL workflows receive the error.

"What do you mean by “recycle the Application Pool for the web server”?""

By access inetmgr, I am able to select the primary port 80 application pool for the SharePoint server and right-click, choosing Recycle. This restarts the application pool and workflows begin to run again.

Regarding the links provided...

No changes had to be made for this, everything checks out. As stated, this typically happens on a random day of the week.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/daveateek/archive/2008/01/11/sharepoint-designer-workflows-fail-to-start-failed-on-start-retrying.aspx
    I am not utilizing BizTalk and do not have the associated BTSharePointAdapterWS file.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wael/archive/2008/01/11/workflow-failed-on-start-retrying.aspx
    "First and importantly check all your correlation tokens. make sure that each task (Creation, Updating and Completing) has its own Token not the workflow token. Then compare the dll you have with theone in the workflow.xml and the one in the GAC. simply they all should be the same."
    --No correlation tokens, entire workflow is built with OOB SharePoint Designer workflows, no custom code is utilized.

"Try this on the command prompt: Lodctr "c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation\perfcounters.ini". And if it doesn't work for you try: Lodctr /R "c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation\perfcounters.ini""
    --Ran both without changes made to the error.

Please advise.

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Resubmitting unanswered post.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointworkflow/thread/e65bfcc5-f489-43ee-ad21-08acbbc5176f/

I get this randomly (have not been able to determine a specific day/time this generally occurs on). The workflow was designed in SharePoint Designer 2007 using all of the standard actions and comparisons. A document is submitted to a document library, a field value is compared and an e-mail is generated based on the comparison. If I remove the comparison, the workflow will run, and any workflows currently running will continue to run without issue. Now to the interesting part, if I recycle the Application Pool for the web server, I am able to resubmit the forms and they run successfully. The network account that the application pool runs on matches the application pool set up in the security configuration in MOSS Central Administration. Any ideas as to if this should be considered an application pool problem or a SharePoint problem? Increased logging did not give any further clues, unless you have any recommendations on what to look into.

07/06/2011 10:40:21.85  w3wp.exe (0x0294)                        0x207C Windows SharePoint Services    Workflow Infrastructure        936l High     Engine RunWorkflow: System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Compiler.WorkflowValidationFailedException: The workflow failed validation.     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowDefinitionDispenser.ValidateDefinition(Activity root, Boolean isNewType, ITypeProvider typeProvider)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowDefinitionDispenser.LoadRootActivity(Type workflowType, Boolean createDefinition, Boolean initForRuntime)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowDefinitionDispenser.GetRootActivity(Type workflowType, Boolean createNew, Boolean initForRuntime)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.InitializeExecutor(Guid instanceId, CreationContext context, WorkflowExecutor executor, WorkflowInstance workflowInstance)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.Load(Guid key, CreationContext con... 
    07/06/2011 10:40:21.85* w3wp.exe (0x0294)                        0x207C Windows SharePoint Services    Workflow Infrastructure        936l High     ...text, WorkflowInstance workflowInstance)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.GetWorkflowExecutor(Guid instanceId, CreationContext context)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.InternalCreateWorkflow(CreationContext context, Guid instanceId)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.CreateWorkflow(Type workflowType, Dictionary`2 namedArgumentValues, Guid instanceId)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeHostServices.Send(SPWinOeWorkflow winoeworkflow, SPWorkflowEvent e)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeEngine.RunWorkflow(Guid trackingId, SPWorkflowHostService host, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, TimeSpan timeOut) 

"If it persists, would you please provide your workflow conditions and actions in more detail?"

All of the workflows across the entire SharePoint server will check a condition when launched, specifically the value of a field when an InfoPath form is submitted. Based on this form value (passed to a Document Library that houses the form), the workflow will respond accordingly. Once the issue occurs, ALL workflows receive the error.

"What do you mean by “recycle the Application Pool for the web server”?""

By access inetmgr, I am able to select the primary port 80 application pool for the SharePoint server and right-click, choosing Recycle. This restarts the application pool and workflows begin to run again.

Regarding the links provided...

No changes had to be made for this, everything checks out. As stated, this typically happens on a random day of the week.

I am not utilizing BizTalk and do not have the associated BTSharePointAdapterWS file.

"First and importantly check all your correlation tokens. make sure that each task (Creation, Updating and Completing) has its own Token not the workflow token. Then compare the dll you have with theone in the workflow.xml and the one in the GAC. simply they all should be the same."
    --No correlation tokens, entire workflow is built with OOB SharePoint Designer workflows, no custom code is utilized.

"Try this on the command prompt: Lodctr "c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation\perfcounters.ini". And if it doesn't work for you try: Lodctr /R "c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation\perfcounters.ini""
    --Ran both without changes made to the error.

Additionally, this has gone beyond just affecting workflows that are starting and is now affecting tasks, specifically it fails the completion of tasks on the "OnTaskChanged" event with the same error. Please advise.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi Visualbacon,

1. What build is SharePoint on?

2. How many servers are in the farm? If it is multiple servers then you will need to look at logs form all servers since the workflow job fires on a random server in the farm.

3. Are you seeing any type of database connectivity errors or timer job errors in the event logs?

4. Are you full patched up in .NET 3.0? the WF component resides in .NET 3.0

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:26 PM
  •  

Hi Visualbacon,

1. What build is SharePoint on?

2. How many servers are in the farm? If it is multiple servers then you will need to look at logs form all servers since the workflow job fires on a random server in the farm.

3. Are you seeing any type of database connectivity errors or timer job errors in the event logs?

4. Are you full patched up in .NET 3.0? the WF component resides in .NET 3.0

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support

Thank you for the reply!

1. The current SharePoint build is 12.0.0.6562.

2. Our SharePoint system is built on two servers, one that houses all of the web information (in which the WFE and application pools reside on) and the other server is just the SQL backend.

3. I have not found any errors that seem to be related to this issue on the web or SQL servers in the Windows event logs.

4. We have all of the latest updates up to .NET 4.0. We are not actively referring to .NET 4.0 or using any of its associated framework.

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Please try to add “Pause for one minute” action in the beginning of the workflow.

The reason for this is: the document upload/fields promotion process may have not completed when workflow tries to read the field data.
    If this does not resolve the issue, you may consider opening a support ticket with us.

However, other members of the community may still have encountered the issue you're seeing, and have a solution to offer!

Regards,

Jing Wang | Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hi, i have a OOB workflow to trigger an email when the new file is uploaded in the list.when i dont use any condition WF is working fine but when i use condition for ex "when created by" i m encountering the error "failed on restart". the error log shows "The specified web does not contain a reporting metadata list".i have check the reporting feature which is already activated.wat could be the cause for error?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:37 AM