Can I use HTML5 based windiws 8/8.1 app to Open in web browser?

Question

• I would like to develop an App for both windows 8 users as well as for web users, I may not be using device specific hardware  features but I want to use the styles , color themes, animations etc. in the web. Is it possible to make an APP this way? or hat is your best suggestion?
    Saturday, March 08, 2014 12:50 PM

Answers

• I think the Javascript library for Windows 8 is specially designed for Windows 8 apps. You can try using jQuery and other javascript libraries. I have made some simple HTML5 apps for windows 8; you have to use similar syntax for browsers but you cannot use WinJs Library. Also I do not think WinJs is open source.

But I really like WinJs Library. It would be great to make IE browser apps with the same library.

9seconds

Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Hi Bijooo,

As you can see when opening the js files they are copyrighted "© Microsoft. All rights reserved.", besides WinJS is not designed to be run in browser.

Take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Permissions/Default.aspx

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:49 AM

All replies

• The winjs javascript framework for windows store apps is not available for web sites.
    Saturday, March 08, 2014 5:33 PM
  • I think the Javascript library for Windows 8 is specially designed for Windows 8 apps. You can try using jQuery and other javascript libraries. I have made some simple HTML5 apps for windows 8; you have to use similar syntax for browsers but you cannot use WinJs Library. Also I do not think WinJs is open source.

But I really like WinJs Library. It would be great to make IE browser apps with the same library.

9seconds

Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Hi Bijooo,

As you can see when opening the js files they are copyrighted "© Microsoft. All rights reserved.", besides WinJS is not designed to be run in browser.

Take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Permissions/Default.aspx

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:49 AM