none
Using .NET Framework Cleanup Tool appropriate for my situation? RRS feed

• Question

• Since Windows 10 auto-installed .NET 4.6, my old Autodesk 3DS Max 2011 has stopped working (not supported by 4.6).

On my laptop I was able to use the Turn Windows Features On or Off to disable .NET 4.6 and get Max working again, but this step didn't do the trick on my PC.

Can I safely use the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to remove .NET 4.6 from my PC?

If so, what are the repercussions on Windows or other applications of removing it? Will other software stop working without it? Other than Turbotax, and the Adobe CC Suite (in which I keep up the apps to date), I don't have much new that's running.

A bit of guidance/reassurance will be much appreciated!

Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:54 AM

Answers

• Dear Inventbot,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

The .NET Framework 4.6 is shipped with Windows 10, and there is not a way to uninstall it. If you run into an application compatibility with .NET Framework 4.6 on Windows 10, I recommend contacting the application manufacturer to see if they have any patches available that will allow their application to install and run with the .NET Framework 4.6 installed, please take a look at this blog: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2015/06/17/a-couple-of-notes-about-net-framework-4-6-setup-behaviors/ about this note.

The .NET Framework Cleanup Tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework, it is not the best way to uninstall and it is also not suitable for the .NET Framework which preinstalled in OS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 11, 2016 2:59 AM

All replies

• I see that it says the utility should only be used as a last resort. If it is okay to remove .NET 4.6, should I use the Uninstall a program feature in Windows instead to remove MS ASP .NET MVC 4 Runtime?

Thank you

Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:03 AM
  • Dear Inventbot,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

The .NET Framework 4.6 is shipped with Windows 10, and there is not a way to uninstall it. If you run into an application compatibility with .NET Framework 4.6 on Windows 10, I recommend contacting the application manufacturer to see if they have any patches available that will allow their application to install and run with the .NET Framework 4.6 installed, please take a look at this blog: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2015/06/17/a-couple-of-notes-about-net-framework-4-6-setup-behaviors/ about this note.

The .NET Framework Cleanup Tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework, it is not the best way to uninstall and it is also not suitable for the .NET Framework which preinstalled in OS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 11, 2016 2:59 AM