none
Migration from ARM to Intel XScale RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed  a WinCE application  for ARM-based devices with embedded Visual C++ that uses only native C and the Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 SDK.

I now have to port this application to a Windows Mobile 5 device (the MIo DigiWalker A701) with a Intel PXA 270 CPU

What do I have to do?

Best Regards,

Marcello Ferrero

Milan, Italy

marcello_ferrero@yahoo.com

Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:10 PM

Answers

• Probably nothing, it's likely to work as it is since Windows Mobile 5.0 is backward compatible with PPC 2003. Also, in case you don't know, XScale (which is no longer Intel) is actually ARM based CPU. All Pocket PC are using ARM CPUs from various manufacturers starting PPC 2002.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 5:00 PM

All replies

• Probably nothing, it's likely to work as it is since Windows Mobile 5.0 is backward compatible with PPC 2003. Also, in case you don't know, XScale (which is no longer Intel) is actually ARM based CPU. All Pocket PC are using ARM CPUs from various manufacturers starting PPC 2002.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 5:00 PM
  • Oh YES.

I copied the PPC 2003 ARM exec on the  Windows Mobile 5 device with Intel XScale and it works.

That's great. I didn't expect that.

The only big problem that still remains is the debugger that does not work.

I tried to debug the executable using embedded Visual C++, but the error I get is the following:

"The ARM SA1100 CPU does not support Configuration myproject Win32 (WCE ARM4) Debug!

Executable will not run on device"

Any idea?

Marcello

Sunday, May 6, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Not sure, I've never used eVC to develop for WM 5.0 – VS 2005 should be used for that.

Try targeting some other ARM CPU type and see if that works. WM 5.0 devices are in fact ARMV4I, not ARMV4.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I have the same problem, when I try to prove the program in the device the program show me the next error:

The ARM SA1100 CPU does not support configuration **** - Win32 (WCE ARMV4) Debug! Executable will not run on device.

In the procces to create the project the program only let me select the Win32 (WCE ARMV4) and the Win32 (WCE Emulator).

Is possible the error be for this?
    Monday, May 14, 2007 10:52 AM
  • eVC++ check whether the device CPU is compatible with the SDK by checking the CPU ID.

Some devices using SA1110 do report an ID which eVC++ does not recognize. That's why you get this message.

Usually this message can be safely ignored - the program should be working fine.

Michael

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 4:52 PM
  • I found how to avoid the error message.
    You have to install pocket pc sdk after installation of embedded visual c++ is finished.
    If pocket pc sdk is installed prior to embedded visual c++,  visual c++ cannot recognize pocket pc sdk completely.
    I'm using embedded visual tools v 3.0 with pock pc 2002 sdk.
    Though tools are different from yours, I'm convienced that it is deserves to try.
    I hope it will help you.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:47 AM