none
How to create an Independent Ribbon in Office 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Thank you for viewing my post~

I'm using VS2010 to develop an addin on Office 2010. There is a basic feature that I want to add a ribbon for Office 2010. But my ribbon is always under "Add-ins" tab with another addin ribbons. Is it possible to create an independent ribbon with an independent ribbon tab?

Whatever happens , we shall keep going on.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Justin,

Absolutely.  Here's a good link that explains it well.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386104.aspx

Regards, Rich
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi Rich,

Thank you for your replay. I have checked the link you sent. I think there is some misunderstanding in my post.

I want to create an independent tab like Home, Insert and Page Layout. In the link you sent, the customized ribbon is still under Add-Ins tab.  Probably I should not call it Tab

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Hi Justin,

That article was the starting point and it had links to more information.  Here is the specific one you might be after.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942955.aspx

To create a custom tab you have to modify the Ribbon.xml file.  Unless changed, the ribbon designer will default to the Add-in tab.  For an example, below is a snippet from one of my apps.

<ribbon>

<tabs>

<tab id="LGPTab" label="LGPro Plus">

<group id="LGPstart" label="Start">

Hope this helps

Regards, Rich
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Justin,

Here's another article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942866.aspx

All of the articles use the Add-ins tab as their example, but again all you do is substitute your unique tab id and label. Everything else would be the same. For example how a group, menu, or button is defined in the xml.

Regards, Rich
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Hi Justin,

You do not have to use Ribbon XML to create a custom tab.  You can use the Ribbon designer. In the Ribbon designer, click the tab. Then, in the Properties window, expand the ControlId property node.

The ControlIdType property will appear below the ControlId property node.

Click the field next to the ControlIdType property node. From the drop down list, select Custom.

Then, you can name the tab anything you want by setting the Label property.

You can also position your tab before or after any built-in tab on the Ribbon. To accomplish that step, perform the following steps:

1. In the Properties window, expand the Position property, and then set the PositionType property to BeforeOfficeId or AfterOfficeId.

2. Set the OfficeId property to the control ID of the built-in tab that you want to customize.

The control ID is the name that uniquely identifies tabs, groups, and controls that are built into Microsoft Office applications.

For a list of Office 2010 control IDs, see Office 2010 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers.

For a list of Office 2007 control IDs, see 2007 Office System Document: Lists of Control IDs.

Norm Estabrook
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I didn't know that.  Good information. Thanks Norm.

Regards, Rich
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Thank you, Norm, it works!
    Friday, April 29, 2011 1:06 AM
  • Hi Rich,

Thank you for giving me so many new information and I really learn a lot

Friday, April 29, 2011 1:07 AM