Expression Blend, VS 2011 Express, and Developer Tools

Question

• The Developer Preview I downloaded from Connect has no developer tools installed with it.  Is there a way I can download and install Expression Blend, VS 2011 Express, and developer tools?  I've looked everywhere on MSDN and I only see Win 8 DP iso downloads with that as part of the download.

I'm not an MSDN paid subscriber so I would much rather download the express tools instead of the full Visual Studio preview since I won't be using that at launch.  I currently use SharpDevelop, but rather like VS Express and would like to play with code more than just take Win 8 for a spin.

Is downloading the iso here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 , my only real option to access these tools or is there another way?

Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:27 PM

Answers

• Your link is correct but you have options to install Windows Developer Preview with developer tools and without developer tools. I gues you download WITHOUT Developer tools that don't have these tools. I suggest download the version with developer tools (4.8 GB) to get all developer tools that you want.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 11:14 AM
  • This is correct; for the Developer Preview, you must install Windows with the developer tools if you want to develop Metro style applications.  While there is a separate Visual Studio developer preview download, it does not include all of the tools necessary for Metro style applications.

After you install the Windows with developer tools, you can also install the Visual Studio developer preview and then you can build Metro style applications from either Visual Studio Express or Visual Studio.

Sincerely,

Dan

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:13 AM

All replies

• Your link is correct but you have options to install Windows Developer Preview with developer tools and without developer tools. I gues you download WITHOUT Developer tools that don't have these tools. I suggest download the version with developer tools (4.8 GB) to get all developer tools that you want.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 11:14 AM
  • This is correct; for the Developer Preview, you must install Windows with the developer tools if you want to develop Metro style applications.  While there is a separate Visual Studio developer preview download, it does not include all of the tools necessary for Metro style applications.

After you install the Windows with developer tools, you can also install the Visual Studio developer preview and then you can build Metro style applications from either Visual Studio Express or Visual Studio.

Sincerely,

Dan

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:13 AM