none
ADO.NET Data Services Design RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Any good patterns and guidance to use the following services , like architecturally.

1. ADO.NET Data Services
    2. ADO.NET Entity framework
    3. SQL Data Services

How it complements the Ntier architecture design ? any best practices. Currently we are evaluating whether to consider these technologies.

Please advice.

Thanks

Subu

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:53 AM

All replies

• Any of this can not be generalized.  It depends on your application requirement.  All the three of them can be limited in the DAL of an n-tier application or can interact as a subsystem in a process orchestration.

Below are my indepth thought.

ADO.NET Data Services - I would use it in orchestration where the data is fully encapsulated and I need to use the data just the way it is without complex transformation.

ADO.NET Entity Framework - Use for applications that are centered around Domain/Model/Entity driven architecture.  You would have to custom build if you dont use Entity Framework what comes out of the box.  Look at the architecture diagram at http://gajakannan.com/netarch.aspx.  The left box for entity/domain is where Entity Framework used...

SQL Data Services - Similar to ADO.NET Data Services, this one is specialized for SQL Server.  Use ADO.NET data service if non SQL Server database is the persistance layer.

These are my thoughts.  Certainly want to know what others think.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:40 PM