SQL Server 2014 PowerPivot installation on SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I saw many references on the topic but one thing is still not clear. Is spPowerPivot.msi installer for SharePoint 2013 is another package that has to run after the “SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint” installation on SharePoint server via SQL Server setup?

Or spPowerPivot.msi is the same thing as “SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint” from SQL Server setup?

I run spPowerPivot.msi on my SharePoint server, but don't see the SQL Server PowerPivot Configuration manager created.

Please advise

-Jeff

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:21 PM

Answers

• SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint is the SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Mode instance with the instance name POWERPIVOT. The spPowerPivot.msi installs the proxy that connects to the SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Mode instance. You run the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint installation on the server that you want to run the SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Mode instance whereas you run the spPowerPivot.msi installation on all of the servers in your SharePoint farm (except the database server.) For SQL Server 2014, this is a separate download and is not included in the SQL Server 2014 installation media.

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recover Deep Dive Course

• Marked as answer by Jeff Gor Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:21 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Do a quick search on Windows Server 2012 for PowerPivot. Sometimes, it's just hidden somewhere

• Marked as answer by star.wars Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:49 AM
    Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:38 AM

All replies

• SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint is the SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Mode instance with the instance name POWERPIVOT. The spPowerPivot.msi installs the proxy that connects to the SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Mode instance. You run the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint installation on the server that you want to run the SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Mode instance whereas you run the spPowerPivot.msi installation on all of the servers in your SharePoint farm (except the database server.) For SQL Server 2014, this is a separate download and is not included in the SQL Server 2014 installation media.

• Marked as answer by Jeff Gor Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:21 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Thank you Edwin!   That is very good!

Now why after running the spPowerPivot.msi on our SharePoint server, I still don't see the PowerPivot Configuration Manager available?  What am I missing?

Kind Regards,

-Jeff

Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Do a quick search on Windows Server 2012 for PowerPivot. Sometimes, it's just hidden somewhere

• Marked as answer by star.wars Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:49 AM
    Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:38 AM