Modal popup

Question

•  

How to make a modal popup to input some simple data?  How to disable the controls in the background? 

twitter.com/LuoChang twitter.com/PokerIncome

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Windows.Ui.Xaml.Controls.Control.IsEnabled

I'd encourage you not to make it modal if you don't have to. If you do, you might want to use a full screen popup with a similar look to the MessageDialog.

--Rob

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:03 PM
    Owner
  • I have a page that allow users to input a dozen properties from combox boxes with a list of existing values for them to choose from.  Each combo box also has a "new..." value which will popup a small dialog for them to type in a new value.  The popup dialog is so small (it only contains one to three textboxes) that it doesn't make sense to make it full screen.  It makes more sense to implement the new dialog as a traditional modal dialog, so that the user won't get distracted by other dozen properties.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:58 PM
  • Instead of making them modal maybe make them light dismiss popups? That's effectively modal without being quite so obtrusive to the user and without requiring a dedicated dismiss control.

--Rob

Friday, May 18, 2012 2:01 AM
    Owner
  • I am concerned with light dismiss.  My ideal UI would be modal dialog with 3 textboxes and save and cancel button.  If I use light dismiss, I am worried that users mis-touch somewhere on the screen to exit accidentally, in the middle of inputting those 3 values.

My workflow will require them either finish inputting those 1-3 values or intentionally click cancel to dismiss the dialog.  I don't think a modal dialog is obtrusive at all in my case.

I can see the value of light dismiss in MessageDialog to show error or messages.  But for simple dialog to input values, modal dialog still got my vote.

Thoughts?

Friday, May 18, 2012 3:07 AM
  • In other words, I want a MessageDialog with 3 TextBlocks, 3 TextBoxes and 2 buttons.  Is it possible?

Friday, May 18, 2012 3:16 AM
  • I'm tending towards the light-dismiss, but...

You could just make a full screen UserControl with a semi-transparent background and overlay some controls on it.

Similar in this post http://babaandthepigman.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/metro-c-webapi-client/

http://babaandthepigman.spaces.live.com/blog/

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:32 AM