SQL 2008 r2 Upgrade from 2008 failed on the Sharepoint instance RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully upgraded 1 instance in 2008 r2 but the Sharepoint instance fails. i get a message about the sqlagent$sharepoint won't start.  It was not started on sql 2008 and the applications ran with no problem.  I can't get the sqlagent$sharepoint service to stay started and i have no idea why.

i am running sharepoint server 2010 successfully on another machine, both machines running windows server 2008 r2

I don't know where to look to solve this issue.

Karen
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• I have it working now. I added the Performance Counter Names and Counter Types to the ControlSet in the registry and that did the trick as far as getting my Reporting Service started.

I am now going to try to upgrade again my named instance for SharePoint. We will see.

Karen
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:34 PM

All replies

•  

Hi

Is there aby Error Message? Have you checked Event Log?

Nag Pal MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005/2008) :: Please Mark Answer/vote if it is helpful ::
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hi kbran,

Please check if SQL Server Agent could start in SQL Server Configuration Manager. One SQL Server instance only needs a SQL Server Agent, so sqlagent$sharepoint will not start by default. A SQL Server Agent is enough and the applications could run with no problem.

In addition, when we use SQL Server Express, Agent is not a feature in express edition of SQL Server. From SQL Server 2008 express the agent service comes as a part of default installation, but the agent is not supported in SQL Server express 2008. The service is installed in a disabled state and will error if you try and start it manually.

Here is a link may help you: http://www.alanbarber.org/index.php/weblog/comments/fixing_sqlagent_is_not_allowed_to_run_error1/

Hope this helps,

Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi Nag Pal,

There is no error message for the Sql Agent not starting, I just am seeing the message that it cannot update the instance becuse the agent isn't started, which makes no sense to me because it was not running before the upgrade and both instances worked fine.

Maggie,

I could not start the sql agent in Configuration Manager either, as noted above the other sql agent is running though, so I agree it should not be a problem.

I cannot start my reporting services though, which is why I am upgrading in the first place. Here I get error messages

Event id: 113 Report Server Windows Service

Event id:140 Report Server Windows Service

Event id: 0 Sql Server Reporting Services(myservername) 

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Default appdomain failed to initialize.

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ServiceAppDomainController.Start()

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportService.OnStart(String[] args)

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

Karen
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:03 PM
  • I have it working now. I added the Performance Counter Names and Counter Types to the ControlSet in the registry and that did the trick as far as getting my Reporting Service started.

I am now going to try to upgrade again my named instance for SharePoint. We will see.

Karen
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:34 PM