none
Change Kinect Buffer size is Possible RRS feed

• Question

• I wondered whether it is possible to change the size of the Kinect buffer. Using  Coordinate mapper basics sample the frame rate is reduced particularly when running through Kinect studio (15 fps without Kinect studio and 7 fps with Kinect studio) and I suspect this is due to the Kinect buffer filling up to quickly.

Or is there another solution to keep the framerate higher!

Many thanks in advanced

Monday, December 22, 2014 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Violino2

In general the coordinate mapper basics sample utilizes the multi source frame. The way this frame works is by synchronizing all the source/readers for each type of KinectStream you want to use (for example: color, depth, ir, body). The frame rate depends on the lowest speed of the aforementioned streams.

By default you can get 30 frames per second. However when using the Color source, if the light is dimm, or the lighting conditions are not suitable, the Color source drops to a known 15 frames per second. This makes the sychronization of the other frames drop to 15fps for the multi source frame reader.

So the first thing I would try in the case of the coordinate mapper example is to add more light and see if that helps with your frame rate.

After this delve into the source code, check your system specs and go deeper.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Monday, December 22, 2014 5:31 PM