none
Visual C++ 6 project in Visual studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

•     I am wondering how to get my old VC++6 project ,after it is converted to Visual Studio 2010, to open in a non text format.  I am not very good with programming in general but I am able to get by enough for what my company needs are so I am in dire need of having the Graphical window to allow me to place buttons and make changes to the appearance of my old program.  In Visual C++ 6 I would simply click the dsw and it would open my project and I could edit the interface of the program.   Thank you for your time in advance.

Confused novice programmer.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:53 AM

Answers

• Was the VC6 projects really converted (you got no errors on the result page after converting). If the converting was not successful (you got errors) that your sln/vcproj may be empty projects.

Remember, the new projects files does not have the dws/dsp extension anymore. The new projects will end with sln/vcproj.

The basic problem converting a VC6 project to a VC2010 project is that there are more than 10 years of evolution between both IDEs. It may be easier to create a new project and inserting the source files manually.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:11 PM

All replies

• Was the VC6 projects really converted (you got no errors on the result page after converting). If the converting was not successful (you got errors) that your sln/vcproj may be empty projects.

Remember, the new projects files does not have the dws/dsp extension anymore. The new projects will end with sln/vcproj.

The basic problem converting a VC6 project to a VC2010 project is that there are more than 10 years of evolution between both IDEs. It may be easier to create a new project and inserting the source files manually.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:11 PM
  • I supposedly said there were no errors. I may have missed it though. I will try what you mentioned and I really appreciate the quick response. Thank you very much
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:27 PM