I cannot debug outlook 2010 add-in in VS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I used the outlook 2013 add-in template to create a add-in project, and after finished coding, I tried to debug the add-in, but got the following error.

You cannot debug or run this project, because the required version of the Microsoft Office application is not installed.

I've used the Help to troubleshoot this issue, I found the 2013 template also supports 2010, and my developing environment satisfy the requirements listed on the following page.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398242.aspx

Also I installed VSTO runtime, it didn't help.

But when I started outlook, I can select my add-in in Developer->COM Add-Ins, and It works well. But I still want to add more code into the add-in, and I need to use VS 2013 to debug. Any one knows why? Thanks very much. 

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:02 PM

Answers

• I used the outlook 2013 add-in template to create a add-in project, and after finished coding, I tried to debug the add-in, but got the following error.

You cannot debug or run this project, because the required version of the Microsoft Office application is not installed.

I've used the Help to troubleshoot this issue, I found the 2013 template also supports 2010, and my developing environment satisfy the requirements listed on the following page.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398242.aspx

Also I installed VSTO runtime, it didn't help.

But when I started outlook, I can select my add-in in Developer->COM Add-Ins, and It works well. But I still want to add more code into the add-in, and I need to use VS 2013 to debug. Any one knows why? Thanks very much. 

Hi,

>>I found the 2013 template also supports 2010<<

Based on the following document, I got that office 2010 could run that add-in created with  outlook 2013 add-in template.

Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

So that is why the following case works fine.

>>

But when I started outlook, I can select my add-in in Developer->COM Add-Ins, and It works well. <<

In addition, I did the following testing.

1.[Add-in]: OutLook 2013 add-in   [Office]: Office 2013

#1 I could use VS2013 to debug that add-in

2.[Add-in]: OutLook 2010 add-in   [Office]: Office 2013

#2 I got the same error "You cannot debug or run this project, because the required version of the Microsoft Office application is not installed."

Based on these results, I assume that VS2013 will open the specific version of outlook depends on the type of the add-in. In my case, I got that error because that I didn't install outlook2010 when I debug outlook 2010 add-in.

So I assume that you installed office 2010 and VS2013, created outlook 2013 add-in, and got that error while debugging.

In order to get that work, you could create a outlook 2010 add-in with VS2013 by changing the .Net Framework to 4.0 like following image.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Carl Cai Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:37 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 6:53 AM