Must Watch - Must Read Resources for Blend! RRS feed

• General discussion

• In my opinion, the two sources I show below should be listed somewhere prominently on the forum so that beginners (like me) can find them immediately!

I am now 15 days into my trial period.  If you have read any of my other posts, you have figured out I am as serious as a heart attack about learning to use Blend 3.

I bought Victor Gaudiosos' book.  Hmmm, that led to an interesting discovery, Victor and I exchanged a few emails and let me tell you, if you want to really learn the interface and how to do some things IN Blend, without resorting to code-behind, go to his blog at: http://victorgaudioso.wordpress.com/ .  

There you will find these videos that look like:  http://tinyurl.com/yjyz5av

He explained things I had not seen in any help files or any other videos in 14 days of research.  You might be tempted to skip the first video about the UI, don't do it!  One of the HUGE keys to understanding Blend is understanding the interface.

One thing to know about Victor, he believes in Blend and is doing this stuff for free.  He is doing a superb job of it.

The other place to go is: expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc184874.aspx

That contains a self paced build a video player tutorial that is over 300 pages long with all the screen shots. It is all done in Blend 3.

Trust me, if you watch Victor's videos, you will have about 50% fewer questions on how to do things in Blend.  If you work through the self paced tutorial, you will have another 50% reduction.  Just think, you will actually be able to do something in Blend, not wait for answers here, and when you DO have a question, it will probably be code related or something pretty esoteric that these experts can really sink their teeth into!
    Friday, March 5, 2010 1:59 PM

All replies

• Thank you for the very kind words Ted. I am very pleased to hear you learned so much  from my Silverlight video tutorials.  I am also very sorry you didn't find my most recent book that helpful. Please know that I take your comments very seriously and my next book (on Silverlight 4 due out this summer) will be written with your comments, as well as other's comments, in mind.  Thanks, Victor Gaudioso
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Thanks a lot for sharing your View with all, I went through Victor Gaudioso Blog and Videos its really cool. I Highly recommend all those who are new to Blend(Desing or Beginners) Like mee.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:58 AM