Benefits of using multiple models RRS feed

• Question

• I work at a University and am currently looking into the design of an master data repository. Obviously, we deal with master data such as staff and students that don't necessarily have an obvious relationship. However, when we add curriculum data, there is an obvious relationship. For example, a student can enrol on a course which, in turn, is taught by a member of staff.

My question is whether there would be any benefit in using separate models in MDS? Can a relationships, in the form of domain-based attributes exist between models? Any advice or examples would be really helpful.

Mike

• Edited by Mike Data Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:42 AM

Answers

• No problems. You cannot implement a domain type relationship across models or, at least not the type of relationships you are looking for, a member of the curriculum dimension having 2 domain attributes one referring to an entity in a Students model and the other referring to an entity in the Staff model. The only way I can think of implementing this type of relationship is by having all entities in the same model.

I visualize models as databases and domain attributes as foreign keys between tables. You cannot have a foreign key constraint between tables in 2 different databases. Of course, models are not databases and it will be great if this functionality could be added to MDS.

Regards,

M

• Edited by M Vega Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:30 PM

All replies

• Mike,

Hope I am not being rude here, but you posted exactly the same post - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlmds/thread/9ae91935-7de1-4ef8-829b-c92883e7f6ab - on February 25th, got a reply, and the reply was marked as answer.

Did you see the reply? Was the reply not satisfactory? If the original reply was not satisfactory for you, I would and, I am sure, other forum members will love to read your comments on that reply.

Kind regards,

M

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Apologies, I meant to rewrite the question slightly in an attempt to find out more about how multiple models have been used in practice. For example, is it possible to implement 'relationships' in the form of domain attributes across more than one model? My assumption is that the 'domain' implies the model, however I am looking for confirmation of this assumption.

I very much appreciate your answer to my original question, but am now looking to delve deeper in an attempt to find out more about how models have actually been implemented.

Regards,

Mike

Mike

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:51 PM
  • No problems. You cannot implement a domain type relationship across models or, at least not the type of relationships you are looking for, a member of the curriculum dimension having 2 domain attributes one referring to an entity in a Students model and the other referring to an entity in the Staff model. The only way I can think of implementing this type of relationship is by having all entities in the same model.

I visualize models as databases and domain attributes as foreign keys between tables. You cannot have a foreign key constraint between tables in 2 different databases. Of course, models are not databases and it will be great if this functionality could be added to MDS.

Regards,

M

• Edited by M Vega Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:30 PM