Objects and Timeline Panel - reversed display RRS feed

• Question

• Has the display order in the objects and timeline panel changed in Blend4? I'ts displaying in reverse of the XAML code, f ex the background image is at the bottom of the list instead of the top just under layout root. It may seem like a small thing to worry about but it peeves me ever so slightly. I've searched for a preferences setting, there seems to be none. I've reinstalled the program, run the service pack, no difference. I'm probably really stupid, or I've inadvertanty managed to do something quite clever...
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hello Mutant.

At the bottom of your Objects and Timeline Panel is a button that allows you to sort the objects by Z Order or Markup Order.

Try changing that and see if it will solve your issue.

~Christine

My Gallery

Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• It's meant to be like that to display the layers of your visual tree a bit more intuitively. While your layers go top to bottom in the xaml, your Objects & Timeline go bottom to top. Sorry you went through the trouble of re-installing and all that.  As far as I know it's always been that way.

Please mark answers as helpful when used, and answered when completed.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Actually, in the tutorials I'm following it's the other way around so I assumed that I'd screwed it up somehow. In http://www.microsoft.com/design/toolbox/school/modules.aspx?lid=1&mid=1 lesson2 he actually drags the image UP in the objects and timeline panel to move the image to the background behind the other elements. If I do that it ends up on top, hiding the other elements. Very contrarywise... This makes it a bit difficult to follow the tutorials as I have to think "backwards" with respect to changing the display order of objects.
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hello Mutant.

At the bottom of your Objects and Timeline Panel is a button that allows you to sort the objects by Z Order or Markup Order.

Try changing that and see if it will solve your issue.

~Christine

My Gallery

Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:21 PM
  • That was it Christine, thanks a bunch! :-)
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:15 AM