none
Moving to LRS vault RRS feed

• Question

• Since one can not just change the vault type, one must stop and delete the protected items from the vault and then recreate the backups in the new LRS vault.

Was working fine til now there is some soft delete option added to the mix (looks like as of august) so do i really have to go 14 days without a backup because of this?   How Microsoft likes to lock one into the higher price GRS vault as much as possible

I really hope this isnt the case and that there is some way to get the backup going again in the new vault immediately.

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:14 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the inconvenience caused! The documentation says you can only delete the vault after 14 days of soft deletion. However, there is a workaround that I tried and it worked. You just need to change the resource group of the VM post that the same VM can be protected on a new vault and can be backed up.

A little background on the workaround:

A vault backups protected machines based on its resource id:

One of the component of "ResourceID" is a resource group. If you change the resource group it will disassociates the machine from the vault and the backups stops working. By doing this, you can workaround this situation and backup the same machine to a newly created vault.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:50 AM

All replies

• Sorry for the inconvenience caused! The documentation says you can only delete the vault after 14 days of soft deletion. However, there is a workaround that I tried and it worked. You just need to change the resource group of the VM post that the same VM can be protected on a new vault and can be backed up.

A little background on the workaround:

A vault backups protected machines based on its resource id:

One of the component of "ResourceID" is a resource group. If you change the resource group it will disassociates the machine from the vault and the backups stops working. By doing this, you can workaround this situation and backup the same machine to a newly created vault.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Thank you Sadiqh

Can you list the steps please?

I just tried moving the VM without touching the Backup and the vault followed.   Do I go about stopping the backup and then moving the VM?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:07 PM
  • OK got it going thank you

Steps

1) stop backup

2)  remove the backups so it goes into soft delete

3) move the VM to a different resource group

4) refresh and go into virtual machines (probably not necessary but confirmed that the group was changed)

5) Backups and create a new backup with a vault with LRS

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:42 PM
  • No need to stop the backup. You can directly change the resource group for the VM. This move will disassociate the VM from the vault and stops backups which lets you re-protect the VM to the newly created vault.

Hope the workaround suggested was helpful. If that answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote the post that was helpful.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:30 AM
  • It may work in test environments, but not in production where You have many many VMs and dependencies between - so moves between RG's seems a bad idea.
    Is there other way to skip this 14 days soft deletion period?
    I have more than 40 items in several RSV's and want to re-arrange it.
    I restored disk's from several points in time to Blob and was aiming to delete backups from old vaults in order to place them in new RSV's at the same day.... now there is a limbo for 14 days... not funny.

Monday, September 30, 2019 12:07 PM
  • Currently there is no other way to do it. Please share your valuable feedback in the user voice forum and up vote the request. The more individuals that vote for the request, the higher the likely hood it will be implemented. 

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:26 PM