none
Update a running workflow

Question

• So question, can I update a running workflow on a item or list? I have loaded a workflow and it is working great, however I want to update one piece (the items in the list are on "pause" until a specific date) of the flow without having to delete the item and start over. Can this be done?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes.. you can update workflow action item. Click on workflow status in list (like In progress, completed). There you can find list of users which suppose to take action. You can update directly over there.

Emails will not triggered, if associated to list as you were updating list in between.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Lalith

----------------------------------------

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:56 AM
  • Hi Bill_Y- no, you can't. Existing workflows that are running cannot be changed. However, you can delete the existing workflow and re-trigger your new workflow

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:30 PM
  • Workflow Logic

If you are trying to update the workflow logic itself, and expect it to be applied to the items on which it is already running, then no, it will not work. Your updated workflow logic would be part of the new workflow instance that you create. In turn, for those updates to be applied, it would only apply to those list items in which the workflow is triggered after the workflow updates are published. So, in other words, you have to restart the workflow on those list items afterward.

List Item Update

If you are just asking about updating some fields on a list item that has a running workflow, then of course, you can do that. Assuming that your workflow logic does not take references and store values of the field values (and then never pulls the values from the fields again, but relies on those stored value) before the pause that you have in the workflow, then you can update those fields without an issue.

Based on the question title, it looks like you are asking about Workflow Logic.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Is there any update?

I agree with cameron and SharePointGuy, you can mark the post if they are helps you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 1, 2017 9:58 AM