none
Advice needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can you please advise as to which language one should go for after learning small basic to do some serious programming stuff?

Should it be VB.net of Visual C#.

My purpose is to develop desktop applications.

thanks in advance

Best Regards..
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

there is no really big difference between both languages. But the discussion which of both languages is better is a big one with no clear result :)

Both languages are compiled into Microsofts intermediate Language (MSIL) which then is compiled at runtime by a Just in Time (JIT) compiler.

So the main limitation comes from the IL. (That is not 100% true, because both languages does not support everything that IL supports and there are some differences. But Microsoft worked on the differences and to .Net Framework 4 a lot was done to make the differences even smaller.)

And what you have to learn next is how to get to a good object model and how to use the .Net Framework. It does not matter if you do this in VB or C#. And to learn this, it is better to do this in a language you already know.

If you want, you can learn C#. But learning C# is an easy task if you know VB.Net. (There are a few differences that you have to know ... but that is something that can be learned quickly ..)

I hope this helped a little,

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by litdevModerator Monday, October 10, 2011 6:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by rockstar111 Monday, October 10, 2011 6:57 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest to move to Visual Basic. After developing with Small Basic, you know the language already and it should be much easier to read / understand.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, October 10, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest to move to Visual Basic. After developing with Small Basic, you know the language already and it should be much easier to read / understand.

With kind regards,

Konrad

But, Konrad, is visual basic equally powerful language as C#?
    Best Regards..
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

there is no really big difference between both languages. But the discussion which of both languages is better is a big one with no clear result :)

Both languages are compiled into Microsofts intermediate Language (MSIL) which then is compiled at runtime by a Just in Time (JIT) compiler.

So the main limitation comes from the IL. (That is not 100% true, because both languages does not support everything that IL supports and there are some differences. But Microsoft worked on the differences and to .Net Framework 4 a lot was done to make the differences even smaller.)

And what you have to learn next is how to get to a good object model and how to use the .Net Framework. It does not matter if you do this in VB or C#. And to learn this, it is better to do this in a language you already know.

If you want, you can learn C#. But learning C# is an easy task if you know VB.Net. (There are a few differences that you have to know ... but that is something that can be learned quickly ..)

I hope this helped a little,

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by litdevModerator Monday, October 10, 2011 6:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by rockstar111 Monday, October 10, 2011 6:57 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 1:38 PM