It works, then it doesn't, then it works again... RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I'm running service in IIS using WSHttpBinding with security mode set to Transport and ClientCredentialType set to None . I tried experimenting a bit, for example whether same service certificate is used when establishing SSL connection and also sent as service credential sent to the client.

But soon after I've started experimenting ( only thing I've changed in code is names of certificates service should use, other than that only thing I messed with were certificates ... creating new ones, removing/adding them into certificates stores etc ), service started to be behave unpredictably, thus at one moment it worked and other times I got an exception when client called it. Finally, when I set things as they were initially, client kept throwing exception:

CommunicatioinException: This could be due to the fact that the server certificate is not configured properly with HTTP.SYS in the HTTPS case. This could also be caused by a mismatch of the security binding between the client and the server

I even restarted IIS to no success, and only when I restarted windows did service start to work again. Thus, problem wasn’t with certificates, or code.

Any idea what may cause such behavior – it’s hard to learn anything if you’re not sure whether the problem is your code or something entirely different.

thank you

Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hello, if you change to use another certificate again, do you still have this problem?
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Windows Azure Technical Forum Support Team Blog
    Friday, December 24, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Hi

I'm still experiencing strange behavior. Again assuming I'm running service in IIS using WSHttpBinding with security mode set to Transport and ClientCredentialType set to None … i f I open IIS --> Server Certificates and delete all the certificates there, then WSHttpBinding endpoint shouldn't work, since SSL certificate is required to establish a SSL connection, but for some reason client is still able to communicate with an endpoint.  

Only if I restart the computer will exception be thrown ( only restarting IIS doesn't help ). So I'm kinda giving up on experimenting with certificates until I can get IIS (  or whatever is responsible for such behavior ) to react to changes immediatelly and not only after computer is restarted.

Anyways, any idea why I need to restrat a computer before changes take the effect?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:36 PM