none
Bing Maps Offline with Excel 2016 3D Maps? RRS feed

• Question

• Can Bing Maps be downloaded and used locally offline with Excel 2016 3D Maps?  We are a hospital and would like to do infectious disease mapping of our local area, but cannot have any data touching the cloud.  Everything must stay behind our firewall.  We have found other solutions that can do this but are standalone apps that don't use Excel, and can be expensive.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:02 PM

Answers

• The Windows 10 map control for UWP apps supports offline usage and includes 3D display. It doesn't have the built-in chart types that Excel supports to show shaded regions - you would have to implement this in your application using MapPolygons or MapIcons, but it's definitely possible to do.
    Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:26 PM

All replies

• The Windows 10 map control for UWP apps supports offline usage and includes 3D display. It doesn't have the built-in chart types that Excel supports to show shaded regions - you would have to implement this in your application using MapPolygons or MapIcons, but it's definitely possible to do.
    Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Thanks Duncan, I appreciate the reply.  I am not familiar with Windows 10 map control for "UWP", but I am sure there is plenty of documentation when I look.  Excel 2016 3D Maps is simple to use, very powerful and very cost effective.  Let me dig in and see what I can find.  Currently we are reviewing Maptitude, which is totally self contained (no cloud necessary), and appears to be quite powerful.  We prefer to stay in Excel if possible.

Let me check out UWP,

Thanks,

Don

Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:29 PM