none
no "app store" into we8 ctp3

Question

• hi

i have only 2 apps into metro : internet explorer et desktop,

how do you do, to have app store in wes8 ctp3.

no problem with ctp2.

thanks by advance & sorry for my english.

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The App store UI is not available for embedded devices. We're working on details of how to add windows 8 apps to embedded devices and hope to share with you in the future when it is ready.

Thanks

Dave Massy, Program Manager

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:51 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

The App store UI is not available for embedded devices. We're working on details of how to add windows 8 apps to embedded devices and hope to share with you in the future when it is ready.

Thanks

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Dave,did you mean that embedded device now don't support to Metro style app...

For Metro style app must install from Window App store,the new WES8 don't support the App store,so we can conclude that ,we can't develop the Metro style app form WES8 devices.is that true???

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Hi wuxianghou,

Windows 8 applications are supported on embedded standard 8. However it is the delivery of those applications through the Windows 8 Applications store that is not supported.  

Expect to see details on how to deploy windows 8 applications to embedded standard 8 as we get closer to release.

• Proposed as answer by wuxianghou Monday, January 21, 2013 10:15 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:42 PM
    Answerer
  • hi

Is the app store integrated into the new version ? "Windows Embedded 8 Standard Release Preview"

thanks

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:20 AM
  • HDave,

are there any news regarding the installation of Windows 8 store apps on Windows 8 Embedded?

Thanks

Ricardo

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Hi Ricardo,

The idea behind using apps on Embedded (I’m referring to Windows Store apps… not Win32/Desktop apps here) is that we are putting the device OEM in charge of which apps appear on embedded devices. While the Windows Store is great for distributing apps to consumers, it doesn't make sense for all embedded device scenarios. Because of this, Embedded devices are not licensed to use the Windows Store itself, but can still use Windows Store apps. One of the differences between use of apps on Embedded and use of apps on the PC side is that on Embedded, the OEM is responsible for distributing and servicing these apps. Apps are not distributed or serviced through the Windows Store client application itself. 

The obvious question is: if there is no Windows Store client application on Embedded, how do I get my apps onto the Embedded device? The answer to this is the App Certification Program for Windows Embedded. This program enables OEMs to access digitally signed .appx files which can be pre-installed onto their embedded devices (using DISM or PowerShell), without the need for the end-user to ever use the Windows Store client app and without the need for enterprise sideloading.
    If you have access to the Embedded Communications Extranet (ECE) you can start reading about this program in more detail.

Apps that are submitted to the Windows Store, for use on Embedded devices, through the App Certification Program for Windows Embedded must meet the same certification requirements as those of apps that are submitted to PC Windows Store.

Win32/Desktop style apps do not need to be certified by Microsoft in order to run on Embedded devices. 

And remember that you can always install your app on a Windows Embedded 8 device, for testing purposes, and run it for 30 days without having the app certified. While this is not a production solution, it does enable you to test your app in embedded scenarios. This link describes how to test your apps locally: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh975356.aspx

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:11 AM
  • So would I expect to be able to get an existing "metro" app currently available on the windows store through an embedded channel of some sort in the form of a .appx? Let's say that I needed the metro remote desktop client; I would have to assume that app was developed by MicroSoft. So who is going to "certify" that app for embedded and make it available?
    Friday, February 8, 2013 10:49 PM