Missing and Incomplete Controls in Windows 8

Question

• I want to make a formal complaint/list of controls that are either missing or seemingly incomplete:

Pivot - Needed for navigation and to prevent scroll fatigue (the kindle app has a good representation of what this should look like) - actually the words need to shift left if it were to be a true pivot

Panorama - Needed for similar reasons (Bing Weather app has something like this except the most important part: the sections don't snap and the when using touch controls)

Tabs - The windows store has this where the "overview", "details", "reviews" is and the kindle app implements something like this (essential pivot without the animation)

DatePicker/TimePicker/Etc - There are no controls for these types of functions... needed if you want to compete with other platforms

ScrollBar/ScrollViewer - I don't know why but the scrolling doesn't always work when you use multitouch touchpads, this type of interaction should be built in. Don't know why it wouldn't be. Halve the apps touchpad scrolling works, the other half it doesn't. CONSISTENCY IS KEY.

HubTiles - Another WP control that hasn't made the jump

Can someone atleast tell us if any of these controls are coming or atleast being considered. Even better, can someone tell us if MS is going to update/add-to the controls in any way shape or form?

Ankur Vashi - Dreken Productions

• Edited by akvashi Friday, December 21, 2012 3:49 AM Spelling
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Ankur,

Thanks for your feedback. We are aware of the desire for more controls, but we cannot discuss future plans.

Several of the controls you mention are available from 3rd parties, some of the behavior you request is readily built from the existing controls (as you note), and some of the behavior you complain about is due to 3rd party drivers (i.e. Windows 8 doesn't natively support multi-touch trackpads - that behavior is provided by the OEM).

Please note that the UI Design for Windows Store apps forum is for discussion of designing Windows Store apps. Language specific discussion about implementing such designs should go to the appropriate language specific forum.

--Rob

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:20 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Why is there no Pivot/Panorama controls in Windows 8? Both Windows Phone 7 and the Xbox use these controls for navigation. The Kindle app's 'Cloud'/'Downloaded' title mirror that functionality, but it only supports clicks and not flicks on the screen. Porting apps from Windows Phone 7 is a pain on the UI side of things. If I use the Grid controls the UI never 'clicks' onto sections so its much too easy to simply swipe by a section. More importantly users suffer from scroll fatigue. I know that there is the pinch to zoom-out that both the Start screen and Store that is supposed to allow for quick movement. That paradigm might work for some usages but if you have to many sections even that could induce scroll fatigue i.e. the Store. I think Scroll fatigue will be a huge problem in Windows 8 if something is not done to implement quick jumps to points further down the screen.

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:14 PM
  • The same feeling. I am looking for these controls as well. anyone can help?
    Monday, March 19, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Did you look at the FlipView samples?  It sounds like that is what you are looking for.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:28 PM
  • FlipView is Not the same as Pivot/Panorama. Yes you can replicate the functionality but I don't understand why take away something that you gave developers already. Other Controls that seem to be missing: TabStrip, HubTiles.

WITHOUT THESE CONTROLS EVERY APP HAS BECOME A LONG HORIZONTAL PAGE THAT DONT HAVE ANY STRUCTURE. SCROLL FATIGUE IS A REAL THING NEITHER I NOR MY USERS WANT TO JUST SCROLL THROUGH A LONG LIST OF RECTANGLES

Ankur Vashi - Dreken Productions

Sorry about the caps, but seriously I would atleast like to know that Microsoft is listening instead of just deflecting.
    • Edited by akvashi Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:10 AM Sorry...
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Hi Ankur,

Thanks for your feedback. We are aware of the desire for more controls, but we cannot discuss future plans.

Several of the controls you mention are available from 3rd parties, some of the behavior you request is readily built from the existing controls (as you note), and some of the behavior you complain about is due to 3rd party drivers (i.e. Windows 8 doesn't natively support multi-touch trackpads - that behavior is provided by the OEM).

Please note that the UI Design for Windows Store apps forum is for discussion of designing Windows Store apps. Language specific discussion about implementing such designs should go to the appropriate language specific forum.

--Rob

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:20 AM
    Owner
  • Missing in the Win8 Grid and Split controls is the natural language notion of recursiveness. Recursivity is one of the key pillars of natural language and computer science. Without it, you will end up with symptoms reported above like scroll fatigue. It would be fairly easy to change the current Win8 controls to do this. Actually, if I were designing a Win8 control, I would combine semantic zoom and Grid to make a killer Win8 control. The Tiles need this kind of recursivity as well.

RT

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:57 PM