Manager User in application LightSwitch HTML RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I created the application with LightSwitch HTML, and I used the DataBase external, attach.

In the properties, in project, I checked 'Use Forms authentication'

For management the user, when used the DataBase in iternal LightSwitch I haven't the issues.

But, if I management the user in my DataBase external, how can I do?

Because I have the tables for the authentication:

It's possible management external of the users?

Thanks, best regards.

Ale

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ale,

1. HTML Client has very limited capability to manage the users for Forms Authentication. It's much faster to add a Silverlight Client to manage the users.

2. LightSwitch can only manage users from the Intrinsic Database, not an attached Database. So you cannot use the tables above in a meaningful way. You have to develop your application with Security and User Management using the Intrinsic Database; and just attach to the other tables. It is possible once you deploy the application to change and use the Security Tables from a different database though. See this post for more details. Michael Washington has great articles on the topic.

Best regards,
    Huy

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hi Huy,

thanks very much!

I can read the User name and password, but my problem, now, is which the password is encrypted!

Does it exist the manner for decrypt the password, for example a algoritm particular in LightSwitch?? 

Because as LightSwitch encrypt the password, exist the manner for decrypt , you don't think?

Thanks, This is very important for me.

Best regards, Ale

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Hi Ale,

Sorry, that would be no. LightSwitch does not encrypt the password. The password is handled by the security framework chosen for the application. LightSwitch only adds Role based management on top of the security framework for the application.

I don't think any worthy authentication frameworks would let you decrypt the password at will =)

Best regards,
    Huy

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Hi Huy,

Thanks very much.

The problem is which the LIghtSwitch HTML gives the possibility for view UserName and Password, but not for management these. This isn't very normal.

So, I need of management my UserName and Password, if someone can help me, I'll   be very happy.

Thanks, best regards

Ale

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Right click the VB Project (1 tier below your Solution in the Solution explorer in the top right.)  Click Add Client, choose Desktop Client and click OK.  When you publish your app it will show up under DesktopClient rather than HTML Client.  As an example:

www.myapplication.com/myapplication/HTMLClient gets you to your mobile app.

www.myapplication.com/myapplication/DesktopClient gets you to your User management features.

This article helped me:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2013/06/25/how-to-assign-users-roles-and-permissions-to-a-lightswitch-html-mobile-client.aspx

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hi Chris,

this article it's fantastic!!!

Thanks very much, best regards

Ale

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:43 AM