none
Bios Bootloader immediately reboots my platform RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently trying to switch from using LOADCEPC to load my OS to the BIOS BOOTLOADER.   The OS is a fairly simple windows CE 5.0 CEPC based system.   The hardware is a VSX6350.

I followed the instructions and right now I have

A. Changed READ_BUFFER_LENGTH_MAX to 0x3000 in FAT.H and rebuilt the BLDR file

B. Created a 1GB compact flash with the FDISK provided by Windows CE into

(1) 32MB Active Partition and (1) 500MB Extended Partition

C  Formated both partitions with the FORMAT utility provided by Windows CE

D. Used MKDISK.BAT to transfer the new BLDR over to the 32MB Partition

E. Changed boot.ini so that BinFIle = nk.bin and BakBinFile = eboot.bix

F. Copied boot.ini, eboot.bix, splash.bmx and my nk.bin file onto the 32MB Partition

G. Moved the DISK to my CEPC platform and tried to boot.   

The CPU starts, seems to find the hard disk then immediately reboots.     No Serial Debug output either.

Its like the Bootloader doesnt start at all???

would appreciate any help    

KNK53

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

at first I would advise to prepare WinCE bootable USB disk by DiskPrep utility to avoid deploy mistakes.
    If it doesn't help - try to localize failure reason. Biosloader consist of two parts - bootsector & main binary ("BLDR" file).
    Please note that you should use appropriate BLDR build for each file system (FAT16, FAT32, exFAT).

1. Erase BLDR and try to boot. If bootsector works properly it will show "Unable to load BLDR"

2. If bootsector is okey, debug startup.asm routine - I have found only way to update RTC registry with defined values and check it after reboot @ BIOS settings.

Just a note, find out a latest Biosloader sources at WEC7 package.
    As an alternative bootloader you may use WCELDR loader from WEC7 again (WINCE700\platform\CEPC\src\boot)

Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Thanks for the response,

Its a CE 5.0 so I am not sure if DiskPrep will work???

I did notice something weird tho.   All of the documents say to make the boot partition with

no volume label.   So I did the format and when prompted for the label I pressed return.  So there should be no volume lable.    When I went back to redo the procedure and tried to format the disk, the FDISK utility insisted there was a label.    Going to try and make sure the disk is properly done now to c if that at least spits out some errors.

KNK53

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:45 PM
  •    Its a CE 5.0 so I am not sure if DiskPrep will work???

It's okey due to ARG structure, nk.bin format are the same.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

Yes the DISKPREP utility does work.   Unfortunately when I use the disk created with DISKPREP to boot my OS I am having an issue where the Hard Disk doesnt always get instantiated when CE boots.    Specifically, the Hard Disk never shows up when i press the reset button.   It shows up most (but not all) of the time when I power on and off.    The HARD DISK always shows up when I boot the same OS with LOADCEPC??

So I would still like to debug this issue.   And try to figure out how to make a disk with the CE5.0 Bios Loader code.

When I did the rebuild of BLDR,  I was in Platform Builder with my OS opened.   I clicked OPEN RELEASE DIRECTORY, then navigated to public\common\oak\csp\x86\biosloader\loader.    From that directory i performed a "build -c".  

Is this the correct procedure?  Are there any variables that need to be set?   I saw somewhere that you had to build the loader for the specific type of FAT you are using???

Any help would be appreciated.  

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:34 PM
  • Is this the correct procedure?  Are there any variables that need to be set?   I saw somewhere that you had to build the loader for the specific type of FAT you are using???

Sorry about confusing you. Indeed CE 5 hasn't separate Biosloader build for each FAT like CE 6/7. So, you did the build in right way.
    Hard disk bring-up issue might be related to BIOS power-on initialization. What is your hardware?

• Edited by iShust Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:12 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:11 AM