Error DEP0700 when trying to run a sample C# SplitApplication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have just installed Windows 8 64-bit on a MacBook Pro under VMware Fusion 4.

Have created a blank C# Split Application, and when pressing F5 I get the below error.

Error 1 Error DEP0700 : Registration of the application from layout "C:\Users\daventry_\AppxLayouts\d91fa9e8-0c58-4eb7-92e8-23afb43a4a11VS.Debug.AnyCPU.daventry." failed for the following reason (please check the event viewer for possible additional details): SplitApplication

Haven't found anything meaningful on the event viewer.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:13 AM

Answers

• @RonaldDev - the situation you are describing (two users on the same machine with the same app) is causing your issue.  You can't re-deploy an app with the same package ID from visual studio if it is already installed by a different user.

Workaround - change the Package Identity (open the manifest, go to the package tab and modify the identity).

Hope this helps!

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:52 PM

All replies

• @Daventry - Do you get this with ALL projects?  I.e., even a blank project?  When you launched VS did you accept the developer license prompt?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Yes, I did accept the license prompt.

I have tried both SplitApplication and the Grid one. Just pressed F5 without touching a line of code, and getting that error.

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

I have two users on my machine. Both downloaded the same Sample. One user was able to compile the sample. When the other user tries to compile the same sample, the above error is displayed. The sample is: CameraCaptureUICS. Error messages for user2 are:

Error 1 Error DEP0700 : Registration of the application from layout "C:\Users\user2\AppxLayouts\CameraCaptureUICSVS.Debug.AnyCPU.user2" failed for the following reason (please check the event viewer for possible additional details): CameraCaptureUICS

Error 2 Another user has already installed an unpackaged version of this application.                    The current user cannot replace this with a packaged version.                    The conflicting package is cameracaptureuics and it was published by CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US  CameraCaptureUICS

Thanks.

PS: The event log contains:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment-Server
    Date:          9/17/2011 12:54:33 PM
    Event ID:      401
    Task Category: (3)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      AppXDeploymentServer
    User:          user2
    Computer:      <snip>
    Description:
    AppX Deployment Register Operation on Package cameracaptureuics_1.0.0.0_neutral_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: C:\Users\user2\AppxLayouts\CameraCaptureUICSVS.Debug.AnyCPU.user2\AppxManifest.xml failed with error code: 0x80073CF9.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment-Server" Guid="{3F471139-ACB7-4A01-B7A7-FF5DA4BA2D43}" />
        <EventID>401</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000001</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-17T19:54:33.053934700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>174</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{E77091EF-756F-0000-2C94-70E76F75CC01}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="4640" ThreadID="964" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational</Channel>
        <Computer><snip></Computer>
        <Security UserID="<snip>" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="DeploymentOperation">6</Data>
        <Data Name="PackageIdentifier">cameracaptureuics_1.0.0.0_neutral_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe</Data>
        <Data Name="PackagePath">C:\Users\user2\AppxLayouts\CameraCaptureUICSVS.Debug.AnyCPU.user2\AppxManifest.xml</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">0x80073cf9</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:48 PM
  • @RonaldDev - the situation you are describing (two users on the same machine with the same app) is causing your issue.  You can't re-deploy an app with the same package ID from visual studio if it is already installed by a different user.

Workaround - change the Package Identity (open the manifest, go to the package tab and modify the identity).

Hope this helps!

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:52 PM
  • It does. Thanks!
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:08 AM
  • BTW, also getting same error under Parallels 6.

Has anyone managed to build apps on Parallels/Fusion?

Thanks.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:43 AM
  • I am also receiving this error for all projects (wwa, and c#). I also accepted the developer license as my user. This may have started after I ran VS11 as admin so I could attach to IIS. Any chance this could have caused the problem? or am I imagining a link between the two?

Other ideas for a solution?

Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:05 AM
  • I'm getting the same error. I have a feeling it is because I have a _ in my username, which it seems you have as well. It changes the _ into a . at the end... Maybe it isn't handling that character correctly.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

I'm getting the same error too. I have a C# Metro-Application and when (since today) pressing F5 or without debuging, I get the following error. This happens now with all of new projects which I create. I am a single user and I can't deploy my project no more. I had no success with the change of Package Identity (name).

Error	1: Error DEP0700 : Registration of the application from layout "C:\Users\User\AppxLayouts\
    37fca8b0-eead-48ae-b357-e70b97d5c264VS.Debug.AnyCPU.User" failed for the following reason
    (please check the event viewer for possible additional details): MySystem Error 2: [VisualElements] The notifications helper failed with error : 0x80070490 [ErrorCode] MySystem

Thanks

Friday, January 27, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Under Parallels your home directory is shared (as a network share) from the OSX host.

Visual Studio will not do the certified packaging/deployment to a network share.

The solution is to move project directories that hit this problem to the parallels C:\ drive.

You may configure this in VS via the menu: Debug -> Options and Settings... --> Projects and Solutions, then change the Projects location: to something like C:\Visual Studio 11 (which you will have to create).

• Proposed as answer by david lavallee Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:07 PM
  • WRONG.. didn't work either.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:48 AM
  • where is the manifest
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:49 PM