none
How to determine the source of a dataset in Object Explorer

Question

• I’m familiar with how to detemine the source of a dataset in Solution Explorer:

• Double-click the dataset .xsd file to open it in Database Designer.
    • Right-click the Table Adapter of a table and select Configure. 

This will indicate the source of the dataset (e.g.  a stored procedure).

However, what is not apparent is how the source of dataset can be determined when the dataset is in Object Explorer.  I understand that the columns, etc. are indicated in Object Explorer, but the source of the dataset (e.g. a stored procedure) does not seem to be indicated.

I'd appreciate any ideas on this.  Thanks.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Bontrager,

Please check your DataSet first whether all tables/Stored Procedure that you needed have been added into the DataSet.

Then please create a new project with a new DataSet to check whether the new project also has this issue.

If just the specific project, please create a new project with same name and then move the original project files one by one to the new project. If possible, please share a sample project to help me reproduce your problem.

If the new project also has this issue, please check whether you have install the latest Update 5 for your Visual Studio 2013. If not, please download and install it from below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=48129

Then please reset/repair your Visual Studio to check whether it will be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Bontrager,

Which version of Visual Studio are you using?

I'm using Visual Studio 2015. According to your description, I create a test database and a test table named Customer. Then I add a stored procedure named CustomerTest.

When I right-click the Customer table, it will indicate the columns in DataSet Designer. If I right-click the CutsomerTest, it will indicate the procedure information.

Does this Object Explorer means the Object Browser windows? I can see both of the table and stored procedure as below image shows.

If misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I very much appreciate all the work you did to recreate the scenario I described.

I'm using VS 2013.  The debugger refers to an xsd file as the Namespace.  

"http://tempuri.org/ServiceApplication.xsd"     

In the source code, when I select Go to Definition while right-clicking the dataset name, it appears listed in Object Browser.

In Object Browser I’ve tried various settings that provide different views as well as right-clicking the dataset name, but see nothing that displays a Table Adapter under the dataset name.  What appears is a tree with the following structure.  

[dataset name]

Base Types

Dataset

Base Types

MarshallByValueComponent

Base Types

Object

IComponent

IDisposable

IServiceProvider

IListSource

ISerializable

ISupportInitialize

ISupportInitialization

Base Types

ISupportInitialize

IXMLSerializable

The dataset is used in remoting as part of a validation process.  The WinForms app that I’m running accepts data that’s entered by a user and then remotes to another app that runs MS Enterprise Library validators.  My app has the following code in which the dataset is referenced.

Dim ds As New Customer.Gesc.TypedDatasets.ServiceApplication

If you have any idea on why a Table Adapter is not listed under the dataset name in Object Browser, please let me know.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Hi Bontrager,

Please check your DataSet first whether all tables/Stored Procedure that you needed have been added into the DataSet.

Then please create a new project with a new DataSet to check whether the new project also has this issue.

If just the specific project, please create a new project with same name and then move the original project files one by one to the new project. If possible, please share a sample project to help me reproduce your problem.

If the new project also has this issue, please check whether you have install the latest Update 5 for your Visual Studio 2013. If not, please download and install it from below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=48129

Then please reset/repair your Visual Studio to check whether it will be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Thanks very much for providing steps on how to address the issue I encountered.  I'll look into implementing these.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Hi Bontrager,

Thanks for your response. After try above steps, please tell me the test result. It can help us make sure what causes your problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 15, 2016 1:31 AM