Can't resume workflow instances on a different machine RRS feed

• Question

• I am running into an issue with resuming Workflow instances on different machines than the one they were created one. Currently I am using The Workflow Services capability, am persisting to sqlserver, and am calling into the workflow service methods from an ASP.NET web app. If I have all of these running on one of my machines I can progress through the entire workflow with no problems. But if I start a workflow on one machine, my localhost while debugging for instance, I am unable to progress further on the test server that I have the same code running on. I have 2 test servers and my localmachine, and no matter which combination I use, if a workflow instance was created on one machine it cannot be progressed any further except for the machine that it was started on. I'm not getting any errors that I can see, and it can access the DB and load the instance fine from the secondary server I am trying to progress it on, because the version number in the instancestable increments.

Does anybody have any ideas for how to fix this or at least get an error message.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug

Welcome to workflow forum.

First Workflow tracing offers a way to capture diagnostic information using .NET Framework trace listeners.

There are a series of workflow tracing methods in the article below, it will provide detailed error message why this happens.

• Enabling Debug Tracing in ETW
    • Enabling Debug Tracing using System.Diagnostics

Further information: Workflow Tracing and Workflow Tracking and Tracing

If you have any concern, please let me know.

hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:01 AM
  • I just followed those steps, I was able to get this error message from the "MyTraceLog.txt" file from adding the tracing to the web.config mentioned in the article.

System.Activities Warning: 131075 : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.ThrowingException.aspxThrowing an exception. Source: System.Activities 4.0.0.0. Exception details: System.Activities.ValidationException: 'LocationReferenceValue<List<String>>' is not of type 'Pick'. When loading this instance you must ensure that the activity with name 'LocationReferenceValue<List<String>>' implements 'Pick'./LM/W3SVC/4/ROOT-8-130397909758386334System.Activities.ValidationException, System.Activities, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'LocationReferenceValue&lt;List&lt;String&gt;&gt;' is not of type 'Pick'. When loading this instance you must ensure that the activity with name 'LocationReferenceValue&lt;List&lt;String&gt;&gt;' implements 'Pick'.   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.WriteExceptionToTraceString(XmlTextWriter xml, Exception exception, Int32 remainingLength, Int32 remainingAllowedRecursionDepth)
       at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.ExceptionToTraceString(Exception exception, Int32 maxTraceStringLength)
       at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.GetSerializedPayload(Object source, TraceRecord traceRecord, Exception exception, Boolean getServiceReference)
       at System.Runtime.TraceCore.ThrowingException(EtwDiagnosticTrace trace, String param0, String param1, Exception exception)
       at System.Runtime.ExceptionTrace.TraceException[TException](TException exception, String eventSource)
       at System.Runtime.ExceptionTrace.AsError(Exception exception)
       at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityInstanceMap.IActivityReference.Load(Activity activity, ActivityInstanceMap instanceMap)
       at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityInstanceMap.InstanceList.Load(Activity activity, ActivityInstanceMap instanceMap)
       at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityInstanceMap.LoadActivityTree(Activity rootActivity, ActivityInstance rootInstance, List`1 secondaryRootInstances, ActivityExecutor executor)
       at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.OnDeserialized(Activity workflow, WorkflowInstance workflowInstance)
       at System.Activities.Hosting.WorkflowInstance.InitializeCore(IDictionary`2 workflowArgumentValues, IList`1 workflowExecutionProperties)
       at System.Activities.Hosting.WorkflowInstance.Initialize(Object deserializedRuntimeState, DynamicUpdateMap updateMap)
       at System.ServiceModel.Activities.Dispatcher.WorkflowServiceInstance.InitializeInstance(PersistenceContext persistenceContext, Guid instanceId, Activity workflowDefinition, WorkflowIdentity definitionIdentity, IDictionary`2 loadedObject, WorkflowCreationContext creationContext, SynchronizationContext synchronizationContext, WorkflowServiceHost serviceHost, DynamicUpdateMap updateMap)
       at System.ServiceModel.Activities.Dispatcher.PersistenceProviderDirectory.InitializeInstance(Guid instanceId, PersistenceContext context, WorkflowIdentity definitionIdentity, WorkflowIdentityKey updatedIdentity, IDictionary`2 instance, WorkflowCreationContext creationContext)
       at System.ServiceModel.Activities.Dispatcher.PersistenceContext..ctor(PersistenceProviderDirectory directory, InstanceStore store, InstanceHandle handle, Guid instanceId, IEnumerable`1 associatedKeys, Boolean newInstance, Boolean locked, InstanceView view, WorkflowIdentityKey updatedIdentity)
       at System.ServiceModel.Activities.Dispatcher.PersistenceProviderDirectory.LoadOrCreateAsyncResult.AfterLoad()
       at System.ServiceModel.Activities.Dispatcher.PersistenceProviderDirectory.LoadOrCreateAsyncResult.HandleExecute(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.AsyncCompletionWrapperCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.Runtime.Fx.AsyncThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.Complete(Boolean completedSynchronously)
       at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.AsyncCompletionWrapperCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.Complete(Boolean completedSynchronously, Exception exception)
       at System.Activities.DurableInstancing.LoadRetryAsyncResult.OnTryCommandCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass1b.&lt;BeginExecuteReaderInternal&gt;b__19(Task`1 t)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationTaskFromResultTask`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecutionContextCallback(Object obj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task&amp; currentTaskSlot)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean bPreventDoubleExecution)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

To be honest though, this error message doesn't really mean anything to me at all.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Hi Doug

Since I can't reproduce your issue on my side, you can provide me with your scenario and detailed procedure below or report it in this site. http://connect.microsoft.com/ 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:00 AM