none
How to change directory name and project name of existing project RRS feed

• Question

• If I have to make some changing on an existing project, i would like to change its location and project name and save the

preceding version. This is a common job.

I do not know how to do this; i tried with no success to load existing project and forms on a new project, producing a mess.

Changing directory makes the project unusable.

Sunday, July 7, 2019 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you talking of a VB.NET project? If so, then you can place the entire Project folder anywhere and open/run/edit it from the new location.

Somehow I think you are talking of something else.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:45 PM
  • I am not sure how to do that but try this. First I will assume you have not changed anything for the project; if you have already renamed something then that might be a problem.

I would rename the directory then the solution file and project file. If VS asks if you want to rename the project in the source files too then say yes. If it does not then open one of the files and right-click on the project name and select Rename. Rename the project.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:56 PM
  • If I have to make some changing on an existing project, i would like to change its location and project name and save the

preceding version. This is a common job.

I do not know how to do this; i tried with no success to load existing project and forms on a new project, producing a mess.

Changing directory makes the project unusable.

This is not common, common is to place the existing project into source control e.g. Azure DevOps (formerly known as Team Foundation Server/Visual Studio Online) or GitHub which is totally free.

With a GitHub repository you push your Visual Studio solution to a new repository. When you want to do a new version create a new branch in the GitHub repository which means you can move backwards to an older version of the project. There are also compare operations and undue operations and more.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Sunday, July 7, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Based on your question Using an old project, if the existing project is a VB 6 project then yes it will seem as if you have made a mess. VB 6 is very different from VB.Net. VB.Net is highly improved compared to VB 6.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, July 7, 2019 11:16 PM