none
VBA Consume Web Service RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a form that runs VBA code I wrote (with the help of SOAP Toolkit 3.0) that debits a gift card web service. It's been running on three XP Pro boxes with Office Access 2003 for several years. One box died and has been replaced with an Windows 8.1 box using Access 2013.  I've fixed the broken references and the code compiles.   The VBA routine now generates "ActiveX component can't create object".  My basic question is: can this toolkit-generated thing be made to work in Access 2013, or do I have to start over in a new approach ?


    Friday, July 31, 2015 7:35 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Accrording to your description, I have seachered the supported operating systems in SOAP Toolkit 3.0 download page, and the answer was obtained: Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP.
    Click here for more details
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10747

    So I suggest that you could migrate from the SOAP Toolkit to Web Services
    For more information, click here to refer about Migrating from the SOAP Toolkit to Web Services

    Monday, August 3, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Thanks for your assistance.  The code works on one Windows 8.1 machine, but not on another.  The one on which it works is running Office Access 2003.  The one on which the code doesn't work is running Access 2013.  On a third machine, my development box, the code works on Windows 7 running Access 2013.  These oddities are what keep me trying to figure it out, rather than scrapping the whole thing and starting anew in some other architecture.  Some of MS articles suggest that I may have a dll reference problem, even though the references show as intact.  I find that I can't register the SOAP30.dll on the Windows 8, Access 2013 box even though I can select it from the VBA references list.  On my development box, I can register that dll in some directories, but not others.  However, putting said dll in the same directory on the Windows 8 box does not help me.  As far as I can tell, it won't register in any directory on that box.  What fun.
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Rather than trying to register some DLL, you should run the Soap Toolkit setup program. It installs everything that is needed.

    There is also a security patch here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15489


    -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

    Saturday, August 15, 2015 3:46 PM
  • Thanks for your help.  That link is to an update.  It won't download without certain already-resident files.  I can't find the complete SOAP 3.0 toolkit anywhere in MS world.  There are third parties who claim to have one, but I'm skeptical.  I did install it from MS a couple of years ago on the machine on which I wrote the program in question, and on the machines onto which I installed it, but all of those are gone.

    On Sunday and yesterday I wrote a routine in VBA using XML to consume the same web service.  It works fine on my development box with four references, but doesn't work with the same references (or references with the same names at least) on the two new boxes at the customer site.  I'm beginning to lose my composure.  It's as though the computer gods are out to get me.  I wonder if all my flailing around copying and attempting to register dll's has screwed up the registries.  This new XML thing doesn't need any of the SOAP dll's.  Right now I'm lost.

    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:01 AM