none
Trouble Downloading using File Transfer Manager RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am attempting to download the 90-day trial for VS2008 (I already ordered a full license but I am waiting fo rit to arive). The file is over 3Gb so I installed the Microsoft File Transfer Manager to assist with the download. However, when I click on the download button at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=83C3A1EC-ED72-4A79-8961-25635DB0192B&displaylang=en I get the normal internet explorer download options and not the FTM.

If instead of clicking download I select the link for "a facilitated download" my browser window just closes.

I am using IE 6.0.2900.2180 w/ SP2 and FTM 5.0 (Build 0030).

Jacob

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Jacob:

Sorry for the delayed response following the holidays.

I went through the same steps as you did to see what the experience was and to see if I could reproduce it. My experience had some similarities, but then I noticed that there was an open Save As dialog box hiding beyond several other open windows - that I had not noticed was waiting for my attention.

The experience should be (after clicking on the facilitated download link):

1. A launch page opens briefly displaying "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008".

2. A check is made to see if you have the Akamai Download Manager installed (different from File Transfer Manager Client)

3. If the Akamai Download Manager is not installed you will be prompted to install it.

4. You may see Security Warnings (more likely for IE7 than IE6 probably).

5. A SaveAs Dialog box opens asking where you want to save the file. For me this dialog box was hiding behind a bunch of  other windows so I did not notice that it was waiting for my input.

6. specify the location and the download starts in the Download manager, allowing you to pause and restart or cancel.  The current version for the Akamai Download Manager is v 2.2.3 - displayed to the right of the Close button.

I hope this helps.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Jacob:

Sorry for the delayed response following the holidays.

I went through the same steps as you did to see what the experience was and to see if I could reproduce it. My experience had some similarities, but then I noticed that there was an open Save As dialog box hiding beyond several other open windows - that I had not noticed was waiting for my attention.

The experience should be (after clicking on the facilitated download link):

1. A launch page opens briefly displaying "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008".

2. A check is made to see if you have the Akamai Download Manager installed (different from File Transfer Manager Client)

3. If the Akamai Download Manager is not installed you will be prompted to install it.

4. You may see Security Warnings (more likely for IE7 than IE6 probably).

5. A SaveAs Dialog box opens asking where you want to save the file. For me this dialog box was hiding behind a bunch of  other windows so I did not notice that it was waiting for my input.

6. specify the location and the download starts in the Download manager, allowing you to pause and restart or cancel.  The current version for the Akamai Download Manager is v 2.2.3 - displayed to the right of the Close button.

I hope this helps.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 9:42 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to download it using a 3rd party download manager.

Jacob

Friday, January 4, 2008 10:18 PM