SQL Server AlwaysOn Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Group. Specifically, I want SQL Server 2012 running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

I am using an ARM template for this deployment. I am (1) setting up 3 storage accounts (2 for the SQL nodes, 1 for the Witness), (2) creating an availability set, (3) creating an Internal Load Balancer, (4) creating NICs for all three VMs, (5) creating the SQL node VMs and the Witness VM.

My question is: is there something I am missing? This seems too simple. What else would I need to go to get the AlwaysOn availability group running?

Monday, September 28, 2015 3:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Setting up an SQL Server Always ON on Azure is the same as on-prem, except, that you will have to configure the listener on the Load Balancer

Because your are in ARM mode, the Microsoft official article won't apply, but you can follow it to create a listener. You will need to use ARM mode for poweshell.

With ARM, things changed slightly, and you cannot just create Endpoints for your VMs. With ARM, you will create Endpoints on the Load Balancer. The Direct Server Return option is named Floating IP on ARM mode:

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

Monday, September 28, 2015 4:05 PM
  • If you used the standard ARM Template then you are right, it is too easy. You answer a few questions, click go, go have lunch and come back and you have a full SQL AlwaysOn AG deployment in a newly created vNet, Domain and Resource Group. It will have two sample databases in an Availability Set and the listener and ILB will already be created.

This is great if you want all NEW vNet, domain, etc. But if you want to try to integrate into an existing ARM environment you will have to role your own. It is a pretty well documented procedure in Azure Classic, but not documented (yet) at all in ARM. The biggest difference comes down to the ILB...it is completely different in ARM. The other difference in ARM is that you get three Fault Domains per Availability Set which is a huge improvement since you can put your two cluster nodes and your file share witness in the same Availability Set.

I documented the configuration process for the ARM ILB for AlwaysOn Listener here: http://clusteringformeremortals.com/2015/10/29/configuring-the-sql-server-alwayson-ilb-for-the-client-listener-in-azure-resource-manager-arm-deployment-model-sqlpass/

Let me know how you make out.

David A. Bermingham, MVP, Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 4:26 AM