Windows Developer Preview Wifi Problem

Question

• I recently installed the Windows 8 developer preview to my Toshiba Satellite laptop (originally Windows 7 Home Premium) and everything has been great, except I cannot turn on my wireless adapter. Wired connection works fine, but no wireless. I have gone into control panel and disabled and re-enabled it, uninstalled and re-installed it, and updated the latest driver. If I diagnose the problem, it says turn wireless on through the switch or keyboard shortcut, but the problem is the keyboard shortcut no longer works because Toshiba flash cards won't work on Windows 8. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:01 AM

Answers

• Same thing happened to me.  I ended up restoring my Windows 7 image and reinstalling the dev prev without formatting the disk.  Thats when it put my win 7 install in the Windows.old folder.  After that I was able to connect to wifi.  I created a restore point right then and there just in case.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:14 AM

All replies

• Sometimes you need to install separate drivers for laptop hotkeys and function keys to work - check if Toshiba has some for Windows 7 and install them.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your older model).

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:13 AM
  • I am also having this issue on my Dell Precision M4500. I've tried those same exact steps. No networks found everytime, WLAN feature is enabled, the proper Service is running, I'm at a loss.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Same thing happened to me.  I ended up restoring my Windows 7 image and reinstalling the dev prev without formatting the disk.  Thats when it put my win 7 install in the Windows.old folder.  After that I was able to connect to wifi.  I created a restore point right then and there just in case.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:14 AM
  • If you have a Broadcom chipset I think the likely root cause of the 802.11 issue in Windows are related to the "Minimum Power Consumption" setting for the device in device manager being set to "enabled". Make sure that BIOS hardware and software switches are all on, then go to device manager and look for the wifi adapter and go to the advanced properties for wifi device, then change it to disabled. This will make it so the device now can be controlled with the control panel's wireless toggle switch. If you have the toggle switch but it is disabled, then you have the same problem I had and changing this device setting will enable it and allow you to turn it on. If you run the network troubleshooter and it tells you that you need to turn on the device when the device is really on, then likely you have a problem where device is in some functional low power mode and, in general, there should be a setting to disable this setting and it will interoperate better with Windows 8.

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:19 AM