none
How communication is established between IL code's intension and CLR ? RRS feed

• Question

• Runtime provides facility to any programming language that targets it .e.g., Exceptions.

If any error occurs at runtime the CLR will issue an error through exception. This rule applies to any language that targets CLR.

Similarly, CLR allows to create new Thread.So any language that targets CLR will be able to create a new Thread.

Now, suppose i have created a new language that Targets .NET CLR. So, there must be a syntax to create a new thread. After compiling my  source code the resulting IL code will be executed in CLR. But how come the CLR will know that my IL code wants to create a new Thread ?

How the IL code's intention is known to CLR ? How the communication is established ?

Thanks.
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Bootstrap1

Base on your description, you would like to know the communication between IL and CLR.

The CLR is the "machine" that the MSIL runs on. The CLR has a component called JITCompiler. It will compile IL code to native CPU instruction to be processed by the machine.

Best Regards,

Cookie Luo[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Cookie Luo Monday, January 3, 2011 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:04 AM

All replies