none
Feedback on the VHDX specification RRS feed

• Question

• The VHDX specification has just been released (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29681), and I've found an inconsistency with VHDX files seen in the wild.  Where should I post feedback on the accuracy of this spec?

--

FWIW, the issue I've seen is that in section 3.4.1.1 the spec defines the values for the payload BAT entry states, defining:

• PAYLOAD_BLOCK_NOT_PRESENT                                            0
    • PAYLOAD_BLOCK_UNDEFINED                                                  1
    • PAYLOAD_BLOCK_ZERO                                                               2
    • PAYLOAD_BLOCK_UNMAPPED                                                 5
    • PAYLOAD_BLOCK_FULLY_PRESENT                                         6
    • PAYLOAD_BLOCK_PARTIALLY_PRESENT                                7

However, I have a VHDX created by Win8 that has the value 3 for the entry state, which is not defined in the spec.

Ken

Monday, April 30, 2012 11:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

After review and confirmation with the team that owns the VHDX specification:

•             #define PAYLOAD_BLOCK_UNMAPPED                   5

should be:
    •             #define PAYLOAD_BLOCK_UNMAPPED                   3

I will follow-up on "where should feedbacks be posted on this VHDX specification?"

Thanks,

Edgar

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

Thank you for your question.  A colleague will contact you soon to investigate this issue.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hi Ken,

After review and confirmation with the team that owns the VHDX specification:

•             #define PAYLOAD_BLOCK_UNMAPPED                   5

should be:
    •             #define PAYLOAD_BLOCK_UNMAPPED                   3

I will follow-up on "where should feedbacks be posted on this VHDX specification?"

Thanks,

Edgar

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Ken,

A note has been passed on to the product team and they will review what channel would be appropriate for feedbacks on this VHDX specification.

Thanks,

Edgar

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:31 PM