none
Barcode reader integration with C# RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

My Requirment is to read the barcode using handheld device and display that barcode in C#.In short I need code for barcode reader integration with C# or VB.Net .PLease provide me such code.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mukul

Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:50 PM

Answers

• many barcode readers can be a "Keyboard wedge" and when they are that kind you get text from them as if the user was typing it from the keyboard.

that may not be the type of reader you want or need to use.

the other way is what it know as OPOS or UPOS  that is a standard that allows point of sale applications to be created that use all of the different hardware such as cash drawers, sales printers, displays, check readers and so on to be used in a standard way in your application.

each hardware vendor supplies a device specific driver and some of them also have an "opos" high level package that is the part that your application calls.

Microsoft has a .net package that you can download from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5355

they have not updated it in a while but it will work with .net 4 if you configure the app config with an option to make it work.

why use OPOS and not the keyboard:  better control of the process, and you do not have to use a text box.  the text box / keyboard way can sometimes be a hassle.

also if you have OPOS then you can also use all the other hardware with one API that works with all the hardware.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

a barcode device generally speaking, sits between the keyboard and your pc.

The output of a barcode scanner is keystrokes, as if they were typed.

So no special software needed to read the barcode. Depending on the type of barcode, you may need some function to interpret them. 

You can configure a barcode reader, so that it pre- or appends characters to the read code (e.g. a carriage return line feed).

When you put the focus on a textbox (or even NotePad) and scan a code, you'll see the code appear.

Regards, Nico

pdfaid, my blog

• Proposed as answer by chriga Friday, April 5, 2013 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike FengModerator Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:52 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

a barcode device generally speaking, sits between the keyboard and your pc.

The output of a barcode scanner is keystrokes, as if they were typed.

So no special software needed to read the barcode. Depending on the type of barcode, you may need some function to interpret them. 

You can configure a barcode reader, so that it pre- or appends characters to the read code (e.g. a carriage return line feed).

When you put the focus on a textbox (or even NotePad) and scan a code, you'll see the code appear.

Regards, Nico

pdfaid, my blog

• Proposed as answer by chriga Friday, April 5, 2013 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike FengModerator Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:52 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:04 PM
  • many barcode readers can be a "Keyboard wedge" and when they are that kind you get text from them as if the user was typing it from the keyboard.

that may not be the type of reader you want or need to use.

the other way is what it know as OPOS or UPOS  that is a standard that allows point of sale applications to be created that use all of the different hardware such as cash drawers, sales printers, displays, check readers and so on to be used in a standard way in your application.

each hardware vendor supplies a device specific driver and some of them also have an "opos" high level package that is the part that your application calls.

Microsoft has a .net package that you can download from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5355

they have not updated it in a while but it will work with .net 4 if you configure the app config with an option to make it work.

why use OPOS and not the keyboard:  better control of the process, and you do not have to use a text box.  the text box / keyboard way can sometimes be a hassle.

also if you have OPOS then you can also use all the other hardware with one API that works with all the hardware.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Google is your best friend. Hope the link will help you a little:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1833963.aspx/barcode-reader-integration-for-C#-net-application

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:42 AM
  • there is a free .net barcode solution, supports more than 37 different barcodes. You can use it to read the barcode from image.

String[] barcodes =   Barscanner.scan("fileName");

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:38 AM
  • thanks check this barcode reader http://www.keepdynamic.com/dotnet-barcode-reader/
    Monday, May 26, 2014 7:48 AM
  • Just found this thread.  Quite frankly I don't know a thing about bar codes.

I'm currently trying out that e-Iceblue product (no success yet.  Have I completely misunderstood the purpose of this package?  I'm looking for a simple way to hook up a bar code scanner.)

In the meantime, is there any simple Dot Net code out there that could detect a bar code scanner plugged into a USB port (and possibly verify that it's working)?

• Edited by B. Chernick Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:33 PM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Just found this thread.  Quite frankly I don't know a thing about bar codes.

I'm currently trying out that e-Iceblue product (no success yet.  Have I completely misunderstood the purpose of this package?  I'm looking for a simple way to hook up a bar code scanner.)

In the meantime, is there any simple Dot Net code out there that could detect a bar code scanner plugged into a USB port (and possibly verify that it's working)?

wrote a post here a while back it may not be the best at explaining all the details.

the code you got may or may not be good for what you need.

are you looking to have a user with a barcode scanner like the handheld ones read a barcode into a computer ?

do you have a set requirement of the hardware that will be used ?

many of the barcode readers plugin via USB and look to the computer like a second keyboard.

if you use one of them the programming can be very simple.

put the input focus to a text box, show a message to the user to scan the barcode with the device.

the text box will have the data as a string of letters and numbers.

you can get more advanced but that is the simple fast hook up.

if you need a fast and "goof Proof" way to work with barcode scanners then you need to look at a USB-HID device and make sure you get an OPOS library / SDK for it.

a USB-HID will not act like a keyboard and you will have more control over the hardware.

not a lot more programming but some.

if you need to do other stuff like point of sale, credit cards etc... then OPOS is the way to build that stuff.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:34 PM
  • My understanding is that what we want to do with the hand-held scanner is simply populate one field of a web app page for equipment inventory purposes, nothing more.  (We've barely begun designing this.)  

I should mention that my boss handed me an old LS2208 to play with.  I've also installed Motorola's 123Scan and if I understand it correctly I can't do anything with that utility because my scanner has 'legacy' firmware.  (The scanner itself is old enough to have a Symbol Technologies label on it.  No books or disks lying around the office either, that I know of.)  When I plug it in and look at the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers page of my computer, I see an icon for Symbol Bar Code Scanner that seems lacking in detail.  What little information displayed seems to be generic. 

Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:56 PM
  • My understanding is that what we want to do with the hand-held scanner is simply populate one field of a web app page for equipment inventory purposes, nothing more.  (We've barely begun designing this.)  

I should mention that my boss handed me an old LS2208 to play with.  I've also installed Motorola's 123Scan and if I understand it correctly I can't do anything with that utility because my scanner has 'legacy' firmware.  (The scanner itself is old enough to have a Symbol Technologies label on it.  No books or disks lying around the office either, that I know of.)  When I plug it in and look at the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers page of my computer, I see an icon for Symbol Bar Code Scanner that seems lacking in detail.  What little information displayed seems to be generic. 

a quick test you can do is open notepad and then use the barcode reader on something.

if notepad gets some text then it's a keyboard style device and you are good to go.

if that does not work and you can not get support then tell them they need to get some other device.

web app - if this is a web site and you have no programming api then you will need to use a keyboard style reader and the user will have to click on the text box that takes the code.

if that works for your needs then you are done.

if you need a better way then you want to have a way to upload data to the web site with a web service of some kind.

that does not have to be a huge project and would give you better control over what goes into the system.

in the past I have used symbol gear and it can be keyboard or opos type - it depends on what you buy.

Friday, August 1, 2014 11:37 AM
  • No text.  (First thing I tried.)
    Friday, August 1, 2014 12:14 PM
  • No text.  (First thing I tried.)

if you can not get support then I would start with the question of how this will be used and then find the right hardware based on that. there are plenty of new ones for less than $200 USD out there.

do you just want to enter text into a text box on a web page and do no programming ? if that is ok then get a USB keyboard type of scanner and you are done.

if you can feed the data thru a web service like a .Net asmx or a json / rest call then you could write a small app to use an opos type device and provide a custom way to do it.

the advantage of the app would be to make it such that the user does not have to go to the web page and click to the right text box. that could prevent some errors in data entry.

Friday, August 1, 2014 1:30 PM
  • It looks like I was trying too hard.    I scanned the bar codes from an old symbol manual (from 2006) that, if I understand correctly, set the scanner back to defaults and keyboard mode.  

Once I did that, I was able to scan some but not all bar codes I tested into Notepad.

(UPCs and IBSNs, no problem.  Most food coupons would not scan. I'm wondering how many more formats a newer model could handle.)

Friday, August 8, 2014 1:55 PM
  • If I ever have barcode problems I usually email Idezi. They worked with me in our lab and had software that was similar to what you are looking at. They also have thee knowledge on the IRC's or coupon labels. https://www.idezi.com/
    Friday, May 12, 2017 8:09 PM