Problems installing IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm writing a small reporting system for commercial sale using SQL Server Express 2005 and Reporting Services.  My target platform is XP Pro SP2 as this the standard Windows install for my target customers.  SQL Server Reporting Services requires IIS to be running on XP Pro, but as IIS isnt installed by default this means my customers will have to install it through Add/Remove Windows Components before they can install my app.

Now, I've read lots and lots articles about the problems people have installing IIS 5.1 on XP Pro (corrupt security database, unavailable Windows disc, XP upgraded to SP2 by Windows update, etc) and I am worried that many customers wont be able to get past the IIS install so will never get to see how good my app is :-).

My question is: can I redistribute the necessary IIS components (from my own XP Pro SP2 Windows disc) with my app (i.e. as part of my install copy them into a new directory on the users hard drive and get them to point Add/Remove Windows Components to that directory). 

Will this work? is it legal?  can anyone think of a better Solution?  

Would I be better using Crystal Reports and writing a fat client app?

Thanks for your help 

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Problem about IIS is better to post in the forum for IIS. There you will get more helpful assistance.

Here is the link: http://forums.iis.net/

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Problem about IIS is better to post in the forum for IIS. There you will get more helpful assistance.

Here is the link: http://forums.iis.net/

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:11 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the response, I did post it in the IIS forum and have got a response.  My reason for posting it in the SSRS forum was to get other peoples experience and advice on whether what I am trying to do is sensible, e.g. would I be better going down the Crystal fat client route?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:11 AM