SurfacePro Camera Settings - disable TureColor? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i'm working with a surface pro and have problems with the camera because all settings (brightness, contrast, exposure.. are auto corrected by the so called "TrueColor" Mode. (this option is visible in the skype desktop version in the webcam settings menu)

i found a thread related to this problem (last post is mine):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro-surfhardware/low-framerate-on-surface-pro-rear-camera/f7c929dd-0739-4c48-b850-ec7040dd1a30?rtAction=1379574170425

any ideas how to turn off this TrueColor mode for windows store apps?

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:10 AM

All replies

• Are you asking about using the camera in your own app or in some other app?

The MSDN Windows Store apps forums are for developers to discuss writing their own apps. For help with using Windows 8 or Surface the answers.microsoft.com forums are more appropriate.

If you are writing your own app then take a look at the VideoDeviceController class to control the behavior of your MediaCapture object.

--Rob

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hey Rob,

thanks for your reply and sorry that my question was not precise enough.

I'm a developer and need to calibrate the cameras to be able to work with them in some kind of AR fashion. I'm familiar with the VideoDeviceController but this feature is camera (or driver) specific and not part of API but it has an heavy effect on functionality of the cameras. Because of this mode it's not possible to change brightness, contrast, expose and so on.. the image is immediately corrected by this additional software.

And I'm talking about the microsoft surface pro!! it's not working correct (compare with the surface rt if you can)

i found a solution yesterday.. it works.. but it's clearly not the way we like it!

in the store there a LifeCam app (properly for other microsoft webcams) this replaces the original "more" settings in the camera application and offers and off-switch to disable the true color mode.

unfortunately this option is not available to the VideoDeviceController. The only chance i see is to open the CameraOptionsUI (that shows you the replaced "more" menu)

Windows.Media.Capture.CameraOptionsUI.Show(_MediaCaptureMgr);
    nevertheless it's necessary to install 3rd party apps to get a microsoft product running correctly on windows^^.. this is sad!
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:05 AM