Cannot access my site from the internet using my ip address (iis 6.0). RRS feed

• Question

• User147071622 posted

I have published several intranet sites but this is the first internet site.

I try to browse to the site using the ip address I got from www.whatsmyipaddress.com.

Once I disabled my machine firewall and opened port 80 and set the site for annonoumous access (Form Authentication), I figured my site would be available.  Instead, I get "Cannot find server or DNS Error ".

I have my IP address set, my host header value set for port 80 and my login page as my default content page.

I dont know where to look.

I would provide more information but I'm not sure what is most relavent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:14 PM

Answers

• User147071622 posted

I managed to get it to work.

I deleted all sites from IIS except the one I wanted to host.

Removed the Host Header Value.

Verified port 80 was open.

Spoke with IS and found that the site was not setup to be accesible via the public IP address from wihin the LAN.

I had them setup an external internet connection and browsed to my site.  It worked like a charm.

Robba: 

I appreciate your quick responses.  This is the first time I have posted to solve a problem in any forum and you helped me ask some better questions of the IS team.  Thanks a lot. 

I'll pay it forward on the ASP.NET sites where I actually know what I'm talking about.

Thanks again!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 4:48 PM

All replies

• User694764450 posted

If this is on a home network your ISP may be blocking port 80 traffic.  If you are using host headers, make sure you have a DNS entry pointing your URL to your IP.  If you don't have that you can test by adding a line to your hosts file pointing your URL to your IP.

To test if you have connectivity try to telnet to port 80 from a machine outside your network.  If it doesn't connect then your ISP is probably blocking port 80. 

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:23 PM
  • User147071622 posted

I'm realizing despite being able to build a site I know very little about iis.

I am on a corporate LAN.

The IS team has setup a DMZ for me to host my site.

I renamed the Default Website and pointed its home directory to a shared folder on the same cpu .

I published my site to the webserver share from my development cpu. 

The IS team did a port scan and confirmed that the port is open.

I removed the Host Header Value and checked that the ip address is correct.

Anything else I should check?

Again I appreciated you helping me out. I hadn't planned this part hanging me up.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:42 PM
  • User694764450 posted

If that is the only site on the IP then you don't need to use a host header.  Just to verify can you hit your site from the box itself? http://localhost or http://"yourip"

If you can hit it locally then attempt to hit it remotely using your external IP.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:46 PM
  • User147071622 posted

I can hit it on the computer with http://10.10.12.10/ but I can't hit it with localhost.  Does that indicate anything?

Thursday, April 5, 2007 3:00 PM
  • User694764450 posted
    As long as you can hit it by IP we are ok.  What about hitting the site with the external IP your IS department assigned to it?
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 3:03 PM
  • User147071622 posted

I managed to get it to work.

I deleted all sites from IIS except the one I wanted to host.

Removed the Host Header Value.

Verified port 80 was open.

Spoke with IS and found that the site was not setup to be accesible via the public IP address from wihin the LAN.

I had them setup an external internet connection and browsed to my site.  It worked like a charm.

Robba: 

I appreciate your quick responses.  This is the first time I have posted to solve a problem in any forum and you helped me ask some better questions of the IS team.  Thanks a lot. 

I'll pay it forward on the ASP.NET sites where I actually know what I'm talking about.

Thanks again!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 4:48 PM
  • User-1557468210 posted
    Spoke with IS and found that the site was not setup to be accesible via the public IP address from wihin the LAN???how to do this..can u teach me?
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:56 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    If your IS department is controlling this then it's something they have to setup.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:57 PM
  • User995603806 posted

Hi there,

Maybe its time;).. I like this spirit:)

I have setup a website on IIS in a LAN and it's working fine when I try to access it using my internal ip address
    ie: http://10.0.0.3/MIS2/INDI_AGE/ShowINDI_AGETablePage.aspx
    but when I try to access it using an external ip address (I got it from www.whatsmyip.org), it's not accessible.. you can try it here:
    http://82.114.160.32/MIS2/INDI_AGE/ShowINDI_AGETablePage.aspx

Pleeeeeeeeeez guys help, thank you

Maybe its time;).. I like this spirit:) 

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:04 AM
  • User147071622 posted

Please check that you have both IP addresses listed  for the same port in IIS -> [Website Name] ->Properties -> Web Site -> Advanced... 

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:38 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

No need to have both IP addresses listed in IIS - it's most likely a router/firewall configuration issue and/or your ISP blocks inbound port 80.  Which is it?

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:31 AM
  • User-720298164 posted

Hi, 

I have a server running IIS, that has other sites set up on it with host headers and a shared IP.

I can the sites I need to set up with a static IP, but I still have to use host headers to access them.

for example:

I have a few sites, that share an IP, which work fine.

I am trying to set up another site, where I can hit the IP address rather than a domain name. I just get the under construction page.  Do I need to remove the host headers for it, or?

When I hit it with a domain name, I get the index.html page?

Any pointers to any MS docs that explain this are appreciated.

Ben

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:42 PM
  • User-720298164 posted

I've added the IP address as the host header, and can now access it.

I also removed the other host headers that were pointing to the domain name.

Is it possible to access the site via IP address and domain name>?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:48 PM
  • User-823196590 posted

If multiple sites share an IP address then you can not access one by IP address alone. 

Apparently you have discovered that you can put the IP address as the host header name for one site and that will work.  In that case, assign that site both the IP as a host header name as well as whatever domain name you have reserved for it.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:55 AM