none
Shortcuts for Macros 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have some general questions: 1) where should I save new macros? in the normal.doc? or in another document and load them into a new document as needed? Will this affect keyboard shortcuts?

Is there a way to save macros that have keyboard shortcuts and have Word still keep them after a restart? Is there a limitation or restriction on what keyboard modifiers keys should be when creating keyboard shortcuts?

I created macros and then saved them as keyboard shortcuts. I assigned keyboard shortcuts using Ctrl+Alt+Shift, then the numeric keyboard, 0,1 and so on. It worked sometimes but never after I logged out and logged in. Funny thing is, some other keyboard shortcuts I used for macros work, just this time around I needed to make over 50 macros with keyboard shortcuts and it is not working.

Would really like some help as I am under deadline and would like to speed up my work using keyboard shortcuts.

Thank you

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:40 AM

Answers

• Macros that should always be available, to any document in Word, should be saved in Normal.dot (called Normal.dotm in Word 2007 and 2010) or in a template in Word's Startup folder (templates in that folder are opened as Word starts). Keyboard assignments can be saved to Normal.dotm or to the specific template; in either case, they will be available whenever Word is running.

Macros specific to a certain type of documents should be stored in the template on which you based those documents. The keyboard assignments should be saved to that same template.

Macro shortcut keys work the same as shortcuts assigned to any command in Word. There are no specific limitations for macros.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:29 PM