Book for mobile apps using Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio, and programming it in C# RRS feed

• Question

• User2084211446 posted

Hi,

I've couple of years of experience in web applications and web services development. I want to move to mobile apps development. I was wondering if there are any good books for the beginners. Or any suggestions as to where I should start.

Thanks,

Rose :)

Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:34 PM

Answers

• User71929859 posted

I want to move to mobile apps development. I was wondering if there are any good books for the beginners. Or any suggestions as to where I should start.

There are two types of mobile apps. 

1. Native apps

2. Web apps

If you are talking about native apps, you are completely off topic here as this is asp.net forums. If you are talking about web applications for mobile devices, you can look at the MVC Mobile features.

http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/mvc-4/aspnet-mvc-4-mobile-features

You can also add mobile pages to your existing asp.net applications

http://www.asp.net/whitepapers/add-mobile-pages-to-your-aspnet-web-forms-mvc-application

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:22 AM
  • User281315223 posted

As Ruchira mentions, this forum is for ASP.NET applications which aren't going to be built using Xamarin Studio (which is primarily designed to build cross-platform "native" applications as opposed to Web Applications).

Consider Responsive Design to Target Multiple Platforms

If you want to build actual Web Applications that would work cross-platform and accross many devices, you might consider using Responsive Design when developing your applications (ensuring that they would look good across tablets, mobile devices, desktops etc.). Additionally, this approach might be simplier that developing a native application for each platform that you are targeting (Windows Phone, IOS, Android, etc.).

It's a perfect solution if you want to actually design a single site that can be used for both desktop and mobile platforms. Although it isn't really automatic and you will likely have to tinker with it a bit to get everything working and looking just as it should, it is probably the best method of handling a situation like this (depending on the controls that you are using). There are Reponsive Design frameworks and boilerplates that you can use to implement these into your site such as Twitter Bootstrap (and a varitety of others).

These could fairly easily be integrated into a Web Forms or MVC application and would basically be all that you would need to use : 

This would really eliminate having to distinguish between a mobile and traditional (desktop) CSS file for each of the pages within your website. The above articles are specific to integrating Bootstrap (one of the most popular Responsive Design frameworks out there) into your ASP.NET Applications.

Regarding Actual "Apps" and Native Applications

Xamarin is hands-down the best route that I have found thus far for leveraging C# to develop native apps and Xamarin Studio is quite similar to Visual Studio in most respects so it should be quite easy for you to use (if you are accustomed to VS).

While I haven't personally read any books that specifically use it, you might want to check out the following ones :

I would highly recommend looking through Xamarin's documentation and sample applications to help get you pointed in the right direction with this specifically.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 9:09 AM
  • User1565039490 posted

And here's everything you need to know about Windows Phone apps development (XAML & C#): https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:57 PM

All replies

• User71929859 posted

I want to move to mobile apps development. I was wondering if there are any good books for the beginners. Or any suggestions as to where I should start.

There are two types of mobile apps. 

1. Native apps

2. Web apps

If you are talking about native apps, you are completely off topic here as this is asp.net forums. If you are talking about web applications for mobile devices, you can look at the MVC Mobile features.

http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/mvc-4/aspnet-mvc-4-mobile-features

You can also add mobile pages to your existing asp.net applications

http://www.asp.net/whitepapers/add-mobile-pages-to-your-aspnet-web-forms-mvc-application

Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:22 AM
  • User281315223 posted

As Ruchira mentions, this forum is for ASP.NET applications which aren't going to be built using Xamarin Studio (which is primarily designed to build cross-platform "native" applications as opposed to Web Applications).

Consider Responsive Design to Target Multiple Platforms

If you want to build actual Web Applications that would work cross-platform and accross many devices, you might consider using Responsive Design when developing your applications (ensuring that they would look good across tablets, mobile devices, desktops etc.). Additionally, this approach might be simplier that developing a native application for each platform that you are targeting (Windows Phone, IOS, Android, etc.).

It's a perfect solution if you want to actually design a single site that can be used for both desktop and mobile platforms. Although it isn't really automatic and you will likely have to tinker with it a bit to get everything working and looking just as it should, it is probably the best method of handling a situation like this (depending on the controls that you are using). There are Reponsive Design frameworks and boilerplates that you can use to implement these into your site such as Twitter Bootstrap (and a varitety of others).

These could fairly easily be integrated into a Web Forms or MVC application and would basically be all that you would need to use : 

This would really eliminate having to distinguish between a mobile and traditional (desktop) CSS file for each of the pages within your website. The above articles are specific to integrating Bootstrap (one of the most popular Responsive Design frameworks out there) into your ASP.NET Applications.

Regarding Actual "Apps" and Native Applications

Xamarin is hands-down the best route that I have found thus far for leveraging C# to develop native apps and Xamarin Studio is quite similar to Visual Studio in most respects so it should be quite easy for you to use (if you are accustomed to VS).

While I haven't personally read any books that specifically use it, you might want to check out the following ones :

I would highly recommend looking through Xamarin's documentation and sample applications to help get you pointed in the right direction with this specifically.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 9:09 AM
  • User1565039490 posted

And here's everything you need to know about Windows Phone apps development (XAML & C#): https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:57 PM